Review by julieanazer -- Kiran by Ellen Steller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
julieanazer
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels #8)
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julieanazer.html
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller

Review by julieanazer -- Kiran by Ellen Steller

Post by julieanazer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kiran" by Ellen Steller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kiran by Ellen Stellar. Is the first book in the series Rights of the Strong.. It is a Sci-Fi space opera fantasy novel.

Kiran is beautiful 18 year old space cadet, with goals of becoming the greatest star-ship captain ever. Along with her best friend, she is living life to the fullest, breaking rules, making money and learning how to fight.

After finding out that she is a Eeristan princess, she finds herself in a land with new customs, enemies all around her and none of the rights or privileges she grew up with. In a land where women are only good for breeding and the right of might is everything, Kiran must learn how to out smart, out think and out run the many warriors who have plans for her and find a way to escape back to her home.

What I liked best about this book was Kiran's interactions and conversations with the warriors of Eeristan. Through these interactions, you can see her fighting spirit and will not be subjugated.

Some of the things I disliked the most was that the first four chapters give you a little background but are very abrupt and confusing, with jarring transitions between scenes. There is little to no background given so it's confusing as to when and where these are happening. Also, there are many characters that seem to be important to the main plot but disappear from the story, perhaps they are reintroduced in the second book but their sudden departure from this book adds to the confusion. For most of the book I found myself very lost as to why events were unfolding the way they were, and I felt that in a few instances the author could have given a little more detail to help the reader understand the alien surroundings and culture better.

Another thing I found very disconcerting when reading the epub was that the size of the font would randomly change to a smaller size. This distraction pulled me out of the story on multiple occasions. There were also punctuation errors like missing or incorrectly placed commas, spelling mistakes such as "sugegested" instead of suggested and a few other grammatical errors. However overall these items did not cause as much of a disturbance as the font error.

I rate Kiran (Rights of the Strong book 1) 2 out of 4 stars. Although the idea behind the story is strong, this book does not feel like a complete story and needs more polishing.

I do not recommend this book for anyone under the age of 18 as the book contains sexual interactions, innuendo, abuse, harassment and references to incest. Readers who do not have a problem with those topics might enjoy this fantasy universe that Ellen Stellar creates.

Kiran
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I love sci-fi space operas, but am not sure I will pick this one up. I like the premise, but jarring transitions between scenes and spending the first four chapters or so confused doesn't sound like the reading experience I want.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”