Review by B Creech -- B-Side by Janis Jones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by B Creech -- B-Side by Janis Jones

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "B-Side" by Janis Jones.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

B-Side by Janis Jones is the story of an intense and complicated love triangle between two LAPD Detectives, Mara Bays and Derek Jenssen, partners and former lovers, and a young Lesbian Cassandra "Casey" Terranova who is now Mara's life partner.

Casey and Mara have been together as a couple for three years and are planning a special night to celebrate their anniversary. Mara, who is running late getting home, arrives to find emergency lights flashing and their beach house surrounded by police cars and ambulances. Casey has been brutally attacked and beaten and is being rushed to the hospital by ambulance, unconscious and barely alive. As Mara climbs into the ambulance with Casey, Detective Derek Jenssen promises her he will find the person who attacked Casey.

Overall, I was disappointed in the book. The author did an excellent job introducing the three main characters, and describing the violent attack on Casey; however, there was only an occasional reference to finding out who the attacker was, and no one was questioned or interrogated about the crime. Mara was the one who finally broke the case toward the end of the book. I anticipated more emphasis on catching the perpetrator instead of the main focus being on the relationship between Mara and Casey, and the obsession Derek had over Mara. I did not feel the story flowed well from chapter to chapter, and at times, it was difficult to know where it was leading. For instance: while Mara is at the hospital waiting for Casey to get out of surgery, she has a flashback about her brother Matty's funeral. The next chapter begins with Mara driving around alone most of the night and finally ending up at Derek's. At first, I couldn't figure out if she were out driving around after she left the hospital or if it was what she did after her brother's funeral.

I liked the short chapters, which made the book a quick read. What I liked most about the book was the shocking ending. I never saw it coming. What I disliked most were several one-sided phone conversations. For example, when Mara calls Casey's parents to tell them about the attack: "No, she was unconscious when I got there. I know she got your card and the package, um ...for us. I feel so bad that I...thank you for saying that. I know. I will. Goodbye." The reader is left to guess what Casey's parents are saying. Are they angry with Mara over the attack? Are they blaming her? Without hearing the other side of the conversation, the reader has to fill in the blanks using their imagination.

The book appears professionally edited as I only found a couple of errors. Due to the editing and the surprise ending to the story, I give B-Side by Janis Jones, a 2 out of 4 stars. There is quite a bit of profanity used in the dialog as well as explicit descriptions of violence, so I would not recommend this book to anyone under the age of 18. Those looking for an 'edge of the seat' crime novel may want to pass on this one. However, if you enjoy love triangles with lots of emotion, you may enjoy reading this book.

B-Side
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

You wanted a police procedural/mystery novel and you got a love triangle instead. I can completely understand why you were disappointed.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

esp1975 wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 15:43 You wanted a police procedural/mystery novel and you got a love triangle instead. I can completely understand why you were disappointed.
Exactly! The book opened with a violent attack scene that was mentioned very little through the rest of the book until it was solved at the end! The beginning and ending were both violent so I expected at least some investigation in between! Thanks for stopping by!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I don't particularly like books with poor characterization and it seems this book lacks that. The editing error would detar me from enjoying this book. Thanks for the introduction.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I enjoy a good police / crime story, but this one sounds like it misses the mark by quite some distance. One to avoid, I think. Great review!
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

e-reeder wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 16:51 I don't particularly like books with poor characterization and it seems this book lacks that. The editing error would detar me from enjoying this book. Thanks for the introduction.
I agree about poor characterization. I just couldn't connect with the characters in this book! Thanks for commenting!
Last edited by Brenda Creech on 22 Jul 2019, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 04:50 I enjoy a good police / crime story, but this one sounds like it misses the mark by quite some distance. One to avoid, I think. Great review!
Thanks for commenting! Yes, I was disappointed there wasn't any questioning and interrogation - there wasn't any mention of person's of interest! Definitely not what I am used to in crime novels! The end is a shocker when Mara finally catches the perpetrator, but the beginning and ending were the only real parts that fit into a crime novel!
B. Creech
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Very thorough review. I liked how you incorporated the new profanity requirements in your rating paragraph.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

diana lowery wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 14:09 Very thorough review. I liked how you incorporated the new profanity requirements in your rating paragraph.
Thank you. The book does have quite a bit of what I call "street profanity" which I find very offensive. I wanted to make sure people knew before they decided to read the book. I tried to be "politically correct" in how I said it! :eusa-think:
B. Creech

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”