Review by lwahls2 -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by lwahls2 -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by lwahls2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella immediately catches the reader’s interest in the first few pages with a sinister incident one can only assume ends in murder. With hints of Grey’s Anatomy, Days of the Giants is told from a Boston City Hospital intern’s point of view as well as his deceased father. In a casual tone, Slater (the intern) retells the story of his first year at Boston City with his father filling in a few details as an omniscient storyteller.

Slater’s story begins with a bit of background information that helps the reader understand the current state of affairs. We learn that Slater’s father passed away many years ago and his mother is dating a new man named Mel who works at Boston City’s sister hospital. He is less than happy with the match and that, coupled with the harsh demands of medical school, causes Slater to drink too much to cope. Spiraling out of control, Slater ends up in the ER after a rough night of drinking and a bar fight. As the doctors clean him up and run standard tests, they uncover a seemingly inoperable brain aneurysm and Slater is forced to clean up his act, quit drinking and attempt to live a healthier life.

As he navigates his first year at Boston City Hospital, the administration suddenly decides to merge Boston City with its private sister hospital, Boston Academy. This sets in motion a series of events (both political and criminal) that changes Slater’s life forever. Without going into too much detail on the plot, we enter a political and medical web of deceit that Slater and the Boston City doctors must unravel. Days of the Giants is an entertaining mystery novel that kept me entertained the whole way through. It’s one of those books you can’t put down, and I simply flew through it.

The conversational tone was unique, and I love how it switched between father and son. Told as if the reader is having a direct conversation with Slater, you find yourself relating to him and rooting for him to succeed. The reader feels connected to Slater on a different level as if you are having a conversation with a friend. Besides the conversational tone, I felt the plot was well-thought-out and the attention to detail in the medical sections very well done. It’s obvious the author has some background in medicine. The many twists and turns kept my attention, and the romantic aspect was downplayed just enough for my liking.

I give Days of the Giants 4 out of 4 stars. Everything from the plot, to the conversational tone to the character development and attention to detail, was very well done. I couldn’t find one thing to dislike about it. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys books about mystery and medicine. There is some violence so readers can’t be squeamish during a bit of fighting. The book was also very well edited and easy to follow along. I couldn’t find a single grammar mistake.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly sounds like a fascinating book to read with the mystery, romance, and drama. I loved reading your well-written review! Good job!
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Prisallen wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 07:58 This certainly sounds like a fascinating book to read with the mystery, romance, and drama. I loved reading your well-written review! Good job!
It's definitely a great book. I couldn't put it down! You are rooting for the main character from start to finish.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

Thanks for the review. I'm thinking about reviewing this too. I love crime fiction novels!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”