Review by Nerea -- Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading her memoir, I concluded, Tina Dreffin is a natural travel writer. I enjoyed reading the short stories. They are fascinating, breathtaking, and educational.

Tina is a survivor of sexual assault. She meets Peter, who becomes the love of her life. Their relationship with Peter contributes a lot to her recovery from her past nightmares. They are blessed with a child, but unfortunately, something bad happens to the child. This devastates Tina and causes her to prefer dwelling in lone places. You can imagine the impact this condition has on their relationship with Peter. They later adopted Adam and Warren. Touring Africa brought excitement, fear, and anxiety to Tina’s family. They not only enjoyed the adventure, but also learned a couple of traits about animals in Africa. Their trip overseas aroused a tremendous experience to the family. They endured various challenges overseas. Ultimately, they made new friends and lost some.

Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa by Tina Dreffin is a collection of 23 short stories that revolve around the author’s life journey. The stories relate to the author’s critical moments and her endurance. Additionally, there are invaluable geographical and historical features incorporated into the narrative. Furthermore, the state of security in Africa is highlighted in the story. This information can be useful, especially to travel gurus. Moreover, what are some of the myths you’ve heard about HIV/AIDS? Are they hilarious? Funny? Tina points out a common myth that was believed by some African leaders to be an effective way to curb the spread of HIV/AIDS infection that I find funny and hilarious. Finally, the story highlights traits like parenting, adventure, family, motherhood, insecurity, healthcare, sexual assault, and relationships.

The story is written in the first-person point of view. The plot development is swift and grips the reader’s attention. The author took the liberty to incorporate meaningful picture illustrations at the beginning of every Chapter to prepare the reader’s mind on what to expect. The book is professionally edited, though, there is a slight error that needs to be adjusted (chapter 22 should start on a new page).

What I like about the book is the author’s honesty. She includes her mistakes in the story, something that only a few can do. She also chose to learn from her mistakes and do better whenever an opportunity to improve presented itself. Additionally, she relied on divine help to find solutions for her troubles. Like in many relationships, Tina and Peter’s relationship had a couple of mishaps, but notice how they handled them (during your reading of the book). Remarkably, both Tina and Peter developed incredible parenting skills, and this helped them raise their children to become better in life. Moreover, Tina has an amazing ability to read the mind of animals and sense danger from a distance.

There's a certain beliefs about the dead highlighted in the story that I didn’t like. To me, it sounds like God takes people’s lives, an idea that I strongly disagree. Personally, I believe that we die because of the sin that we inherited from Adam and Eve.

There is a lot to learn from the story. For instance, animals react differently when provoked or when they sense danger. For one to succeed in a mission, they will need people to support them ideally or morally. Finally, “One poor decision can ruin a lifetime dream.”

I rate the book at 4 out of 4 stars. The book is professionally edited, adventurous, and fascinating. Notably, there is a lot to learn from the story.

Readers who love reading memoirs or love adventure in their stories will enjoy reading this book.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I'm not usually a fan of memoirs, however the stories about Africa sound quite interesting! Thanks for the review Nerea, I doubt I would have considered this previously
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

danielleamy wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 05:19 I'm not usually a fan of memoirs, however the stories about Africa sound quite interesting! Thanks for the review Nerea, I doubt I would have considered this previously
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I hope you enjoy reading the book.
No Wahala
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I like that this book has so many prevalent themes and the author is successful in executing all of them. Inclusion of pictures is always a plus in my opinion. Although I don't usually read memoirs, this sounds engaging and relatable. Thank you for the well-written review, Nerea.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 09:54 I like that this book has so many prevalent themes and the author is successful in executing all of them. Inclusion of pictures is always a plus in my opinion. Although I don't usually read memoirs, this sounds engaging and relatable. Thank you for the well-written review, Nerea.
Yeah. It's quite intriguing. Thank you for your kind words.
No Wahala
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I don't care for memoir, nor am I interested in Africa, so I'll pass on this book. Thanks for the thorough review.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 17:58 I don't care for memoir, nor am I interested in Africa, so I'll pass on this book. Thanks for the thorough review.
Thank you for your honesty.
No Wahala
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a very raw, authentic memoir that deals with many issues. I love the travelogue aspect of it as well. Great review!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

unamilagra wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 13:12 This sounds like a very raw, authentic memoir that deals with many issues. I love the travelogue aspect of it as well. Great review!
I appreciate your kind comments. Thank you.
No Wahala
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I do enjoy a good memoir, and this sounds like an interesting one. Might check it out. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”