Review by Mamatyler -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mamatyler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamatyler.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Review by Mamatyler -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mamatyler » 04 Jul 2019, 01:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is a non-fiction book that seeks to educate readers on how to fail forward. For a high school dropout, Jorge was eager to learn in the real world. Jorge P. Newbery is a successful entrepreneur, distressed debt and real estate investor, endurance athlete, and author.

The author attests that most often your flaws are also your strengths. The author learned via research, asking questions, negotiations, reasoning, interpreting, smart calculations, visualization, and creativity. This is the story of one man's attempt to be the best he could be despite society's definitions. The pictures were a nice addition to brighten Jorge's memoir. "Birds of a feather flock together"; Jorge often interacted with those who didn't fit anywhere. Burn Zones is a life manual on how to live life undeterred. Chasing after the next challenge was the author's way of living life. Sports fanatics will enjoy the tips that Jorge kept on dishing out as he explored his adventurous biking days.

The author reiterates that we learn more from our losses than successes. Burn Zones kept me engaged from start to finish. The seamless weaving of Jorge's life story was a breath of fresh air. The business tips on offer were realistically viable, which is what I liked most. I have had it said that without vision we are doomed to fail. Jorge made up his mind to live a disciplined and self-controlled life.

The book had a myriad of themes, such as racism, betrayal, family, second chances, love, and hate. The most sensitive theme to me is how the author depicted race. Due to the negative imagery in the media, subconsciously black people are to be feared and whites are to be honored. "Many news outlets pander to the white majority and perpetuate the perspective that whites may commit crimes, but African Americans are criminals."

I felt empathetic when the author reached rock bottom, he declared that he was paying for dreams past and could not afford new ones. He felt enslaved to his creditors. I love how Jorge bounced back from his tumultuous financial downfall. Apart from the gnashing of teeth and a few comfort foods, he turned out okay. "During my period of strife, lessons were seared into my head on how to deal with overwhelming debt, armies of creditors, betrayal, humiliation, anger, and frustration.” What the author learned when he was down he now uses to alleviate the suffering of others and makes a profit.

In conclusion, the lesson is to push the limits of our mind and soul since we will all encounter our own personal 'burn zones'. This one deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating. It must have been professionally edited, I didn't encounter any errors. Every human that has chosen to do right yet has experienced big setbacks should get a hold of this book.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”