Review by ShiRah185 -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShiRah185
Currently Reading: Knowing He's There
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirah185.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Review by ShiRah185 -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Post by ShiRah185 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons" by Sam Brand.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An easy read, Dolphins Don't Run Marathons is a documentary of the author's, Sam Brand, transition from human ant to human dolphin. I found this book to be hugely entertaining and educational. Each chapter is described as a mile with the title being a sample of Brand's wisdom. The chapters are but a few witty and humorous paragraphs long, one, at most two per page. It is also jam-packed with athletic and health statistics with sound solid advice for all to adhere to. These frequent facts show that the author certainly did in depth research during his stint as an ant.

This non-fiction is exquisitely written from the perspective of a former marathon runner. The author explains in the very first chapter that there are three types of people, namely, the human ants, the human chimpanzees and the human dolphins. I found this to be an extremely striking and remarkable analogy. Brand himself is presently enjoying life as a retired ant.

Personally, I had held nothing but great respect for ants prior to reading this literary gem. They are a hard-working, well-structured society, each ant strong and dependable. Initially, I thought Brand was about to sing the praises of the infallible ant kingdom. I was so wrong.

Throughout the book he urges human ants to take it easy and release their self-righteousness. The writing is deeply philosophical. All readers are advised to become the wise dolphin like the author, with the ant being the least desirable of the three personality types.

The perfect work for everyone interested in self-discovery, it boasts of a delightfully sumptuous one hundred and ninety-nine pages. I found only one error which is on page 118. Besides this, I could find no fault at all within the pages.

This book is appropriate for all ages because the imagery and writing style are relatable and palatable. The general message is that life is precious and is to be lived and enjoyed to the fullest. It is also excellent for those who hate long arduous hours of reading. In every way the offering is meant to break the craving for marathons, even literary ones.

Brand insists that there is a thin line between the animal and human kingdoms. Yet, the happiest are those whose view is far above ground and is as kaleidoscopic as possible.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book which is a journey along the path to enlightenment in and of itself. Due to this, it is my absolute and unreserved pleasure to award Dolphins Don't Run Marathons by Sam Brand a well deserved 4 out of 4 stars, and congratulate the author on his upgrade to the dolphin lifestyle.

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”