Review by BrittaniDJ -- The Vision of Jenny Merkus

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by BrittaniDJ -- The Vision of Jenny Merkus

Post by BrittaniDJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vision of Jenny Merkus" by Hadassa Mor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love books that have great depth to them and The Vision of Jenny Merkus: A Historical Biographical Novel Featuring the Life and Struggles of a Female Warrior and Philanthropist, by Hadassa Mor, did not disappoint. Mor set the scene with Jenny as a 36-year-old woman who gains a vision from God. Jenny interprets the vision to mean that she should build Jesus Christ a house in Jerusalem to host his second coming during the end times. When God calls you, you move. Jenny traveled to Jerusalem on her own which was completely contrary to European society values at that time. Jenny visited many of the places that the Bible talks about and it was amazing to read about her impressions of them. It made me want to travel to Israel to experience the awe and wonder she felt.

Quickly, the book jumps back to Jenny’s very lonely childhood filled with loss. What level of influence our past has on our present decisions is one of the questions that the author opens for the reader to ponder. Other issues that arise as Jenny moves on her journey into adulthood and throughout, are: sexual orientation, family dynamics, faith and society or faith versus society, natural instinct versus environmental influence, and more.

Jenny had trouble focusing on one thing at a time. She had so many goals and ambitions it caused one to wonder if and how she would be able to accomplish her initial mandate of building a house for Jesus. It was suspenseful to follow her as she battled against political and cultural barriers to her plan. It was also exciting to follow her as she fearlessly charged into war to help free the Israeli people from the tyranny of the Turks. This woman led a brilliantly inspirational life, one that was real, relatable, and yet, also fantastic. With suspense, big life questions and interesting historical information, Hadassa Mor keeps the reader interested to the very end. Will Jenny complete her mission? Will she fall in love? Will she succeed in the man’s world of the battlefield? Will she blaze the trail for the suffragist movement? All these questions and more, are answered throughout the plot of the book.

What I did not like about this book was that Hadassa Mor seemed to have two divergent plans. Instead of cohesively sewing both types of writing into the story, it seemed she was sometimes writing a historical biography without adequate bibliographical evidence for the information; and sometimes writing a novel whose story elements – dialogue, plotline flow, character developments and interactions – were not the most successful.

I think any woman would benefit from reading this book. It would be a wonderful addition to a book club list with its myriad of levels, themes, questions and psychological/sociological patterns of interest. I do not know if men would enjoy this book, unless they appreciate a female heroine conquering social stereotypes. It definitely has mature subject matter that would not be appropriate for people younger than 18.

I give The Vision of Jenny Merkus a 3 out of 4 star rating. It had many spelling and grammatical errors that got more numerous towards the end of the book, causing me to believe it may not have been professionally edited. Also, I disliked how it jumped from novel platform to biography platform, instead of cohesively sewing biographical information into the novel. I loved the story. I resonated with many of the issues that Jenny had to deal with in life. I also loved learning about the things she attempted to accomplish that I may never do in my life. She was an inspirational Christian and human being.

The Vision of Jenny Merkus
View: on Bookshelves
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I love learning about strong women in history. This book seems great for that. It is too bad it was not professionally copy-edited.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

esp1975 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 12:45 I love learning about strong women in history. This book seems great for that. It is too bad it was not professionally copy-edited.
Indeed. I will give it a try some day, anyway.

BrittaniDJ, you did well. Your review is great.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I always love stories involving a strong female protagonist, but it almost sounds like the author was overly ambitious with this story. Thank you for a thorough, honest review!
BrittaniDJ

Post by BrittaniDJ »

unamilagra wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 16:12 I always love stories involving a strong female protagonist, but it almost sounds like the author was overly ambitious with this story. Thank you for a thorough, honest review!
I don't know if that is true as this was a biographical novel. The story was simply penned by her but it did happen. I researched it. I thought that was pretty awesome.
BrittaniDJ

Post by BrittaniDJ »

LinaMueller wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 06:20
esp1975 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 12:45 I love learning about strong women in history. This book seems great for that. It is too bad it was not professionally copy-edited.
Indeed. I will give it a try some day, anyway.

BrittaniDJ, you did well. Your review is great.
Thank you so much! That is so kind. I hope you do find time to read it one day. She was pretty great.
BrittaniDJ

Post by BrittaniDJ »

I know, that was frustrating. But so cool that this woman was real!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”