Review by danielleamy -- The Dark Web Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: All Together Dead
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Chopped by Bip Wetherell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by danielleamy -- The Dark Web Murders

Post by danielleamy » 30 Jun 2019, 05:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his partner Sergeant Denise Stewart are working against time as the bodies pile up. There is a serial killer roaming Northern Ireland and they seem to be targeting random individuals. So far the victims have included a Judge and a retired headteacher walking his dog. But is there a connection between them? The killer leaves no evidence behind and seems to be extremely intelligent. Stewart then discovers the killer has been publishing blog posts full of gruesome details of their murders on the Dark Web. Sheehan and his team must gather the clues to stop the killer before they finish their brutal mission of revenge.

The Dark Web Murders, written by Brian O'Hare, is a thrilling crime and mystery novel. If you love a gripping page-turner, then this is the book for you! I loved the relationship between Sheehan and Stewart. I felt involved in the investigation and couldn't wait for the truth to be revealed. I also loved reading the blog posts. They were very well-written, so it was easy to believe the killer had written them.

The only thing that I disliked about the book is that I worked out the answer to an important clue that Sheehan and his team missed. I also correctly guessed the killer's identity. This did take away some of the suspense, but I still thoroughly enjoyed reading The Dark Web Murders from start to finish. Readers should be warned that there are a lot of characters, but the author provides a helpful list of characters and a glossary of police terms. I referred to these a few times, which was useful. Sensitive readers who dislike crude language, gore and violence should avoid this book.

I would have loved to rate this full stars as I enjoyed every page and couldn't wait to finish the book. However, there were more than ten grammatical errors in the Kindle version, so I have to rate this 3 out of 4 stars. There were some spelling mistakes, misplaced speech marks and a few errors with character names e.g. 'Edgar Doran' was referred to as 'Edwin Doran' on a couple of occasions. These errors were spread throughout the book, but none were too distracting.

I would highly recommend The Dark Web Murders to those who love mysteries, police procedural novels and crime thrillers. Crime novels are often solely plot-driven, yet O'Hare also focusses on the character building too, which I appreciated. This book is part of a series, but can also be read as a stand-alone novel. The Dark Web Murders is the first novel I have read by Brian O'Hare, but I can guarantee it will definitely not be the last!

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Nerea » 07 Jul 2019, 07:10

This story reminds me of the series "Money Heist." It sounds thrilling and intriguing too.
This sounds discouraging;
I worked out the answer to an important clue that Sheehan and his team missed.
But from your review I believe the book is great. Thank you for your great review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 155
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by juliusotieno02 » 07 Jul 2019, 12:49

Wow, thanks for the review. I've read and reviewed this book and i'm glad you mentioned the blog posts. I'm sorry, but the posts made me like the murderer. The murders were somehow justifiable.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

danielleamy

Post by danielleamy » 08 Jul 2019, 09:52

Nerea wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 07:10
This story reminds me of the series "Money Heist." It sounds thrilling and intriguing too.
This sounds discouraging;
I worked out the answer to an important clue that Sheehan and his team missed.
But from your review I believe the book is great. Thank you for your great review.
Even though I figured it out, it was still a great read! Thanks for your comment
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

danielleamy

Post by danielleamy » 08 Jul 2019, 09:54

juliusotieno02 wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 12:49
Wow, thanks for the review. I've read and reviewed this book and i'm glad you mentioned the blog posts. I'm sorry, but the posts made me like the murderer. The murders were somehow justifiable.
I know what you mean. I could empathise with their situation that led them onto the path of vengeance. Thanks for commenting!

Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Pity the Devil' Wife by W. Hanelan

Post by Ekta Kumari » 09 Jul 2019, 10:12

A crime mystery with an engaging plot and well-executed character development does sound like something I would enjoy reading. The glossary also seems useful while reading the book. I'll add this to my list and would definitely read it in future. Thanks for reviewing the book.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

danielleamy

Post by danielleamy » 09 Jul 2019, 11:01

Ekta Kumari wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 10:12
A crime mystery with an engaging plot and well-executed character development does sound like something I would enjoy reading. The glossary also seems useful while reading the book. I'll add this to my list and would definitely read it in future. Thanks for reviewing the book.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy this if you do decide to pick it up

Charlie19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 » 10 Jul 2019, 00:15

Great story telling.. I loved the genre, most probably i will read this one..thanks

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 10 Jul 2019, 18:11

Great review! I reviewed this one and really liked it too. I also reviewed an another in the series (The 11:05 Murders) and thought it as great too, and I'm planning to read the rest of the series.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 190
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Murder By Health Proxy by Dawn Liss
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 10 Jul 2019, 23:09

It's too bad you were more clever than the characters, but it sounds like it was still an exciting read. I like the blog post element, very unique. Thanks for a great review!

danielleamy

Post by danielleamy » 11 Jul 2019, 03:55

Charlie19 wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 00:15
Great story telling.. I loved the genre, most probably i will read this one..thanks
It's definitely my favourite genre at the moment. Thanks for reading :)
Mbrooks2518 wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 18:11
Great review! I reviewed this one and really liked it too. I also reviewed an another in the series (The 11:05 Murders) and thought it as great too, and I'm planning to read the rest of the series.
I'd love to read more of his books, so thanks for the suggestion and for reading my review. I'll check out your review too!
unamilagra wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 23:09
It's too bad you were more clever than the characters, but it sounds like it was still an exciting read. I like the blog post element, very unique. Thanks for a great review!
I wasn't sure whether the author made the clue obvious to the reader on purpose or not. Sometimes it can build more tension when you know what's going to happen before the characters do...if that makes sense? The blog posts were unique and it was interesting to see the motivation/reasoning behind the killer's actions. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Good Stuff by Liz Loughlin

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 16:46

It's a pity about the errors, but you certainly do paint an image of a fascinating page-turner! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review!

danielleamy

Post by danielleamy » 13 Jul 2019, 11:10

Bluebird03 wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:46
It's a pity about the errors, but you certainly do paint an image of a fascinating page-turner! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review!
Thanks for your lovely comment Bluebird03 :D

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 168
Currently Reading: Broken Blood
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Advent of Darkness by Gary Caplan
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 14 Jul 2019, 00:36

I'm not really into crime mysteries but it certainly sounds like this one has a most intriguing plot. I always love it when an author does well with character development. I probably won't pick this one up as it's really outside of the genres I like, but for mystery lovers, it sounds perfect! Great review!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Meg98 » 15 Jul 2019, 23:07

This sounds like a great thriller! I love the premise. Thanks for this great review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”