Review by Soonerchick656 -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soonerchick656
Currently Reading: The Deep End of the Ocean
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerchick656.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by Soonerchick656 -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by Soonerchick656 » 29 Jun 2019, 16:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An innocent family taken hostage, then it all goes horribly wrong. All police units are called in; but nothing is as it appears. Set-in small-town Lawrence, in New Zealand, the entire town is in shock from the incident. Nick Cooper and Tobe White are called in due to the appearance of gang members. After arriving on the scene, they realize they know the dead gang members, because Nick and Tobe work for the Gang Intelligence Centre (GIC). Two young girls unscathed, a mother shot, but not fatally, and a father who has gone missing. Tobe and Nick must work quickly and will soon discover just how far someone will go to seek revenge.

The things I disliked most was that The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell seemed like a very strange title to what was a very thrilling book. I didn’t and still don’t understand the title and how it reflects the book. The book also seemed to be very choppy and for me it was hard to stay engaged in the book. It took me a few chapters to really get into the story; but once into it I needed closure as to what was going on and how everyone was connected. There were a couple of loose ends in the story that were not tied up and left me asking questions; I cannot indulge those parts of the story as I believe it would give spoilers.

The things I liked the most were that the characters in the chapters titled “The Men in the Dark” were very mysterious, and there was a lot of philosophical conversations held in those chapters. There was a lot of action in the story, especially towards the end and at that point I couldn’t put the book down and read late in to the night to finish it. I also enjoyed that Nick and Tobe were friends and not just partners. In one part of the story Nick and his girlfriend, Maria, were invited to Tobe’s house for dinner with his mother. I found it heartwarming and the conversation in that part of the story was very thought provoking.

I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors in the book, I give the book 4 out of 4 stars, as I do believe that the book was professionally edited. Even though the book was choppy feeling I enjoyed the story. This was a book that I didn’t have much feeling as I didn’t connect with the characters in the story. There were a few things in the book that made me chuckle; but there were no real feelings from my side. For me it is not a book I would read again as I did not enjoy it from that sense.

This book could be for any audience who enjoys thrillers and crime; however due to some language in the book it would be best to read by adults. I did not find anything in the book to be overly explicit, nor was there anything gory.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”