Review by Jaime Lync -- The Touch by Robert Flynn III

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Jaime Lync -- The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Jaime Lync » 28 Jun 2019, 18:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Touch" by Robert Flynn III.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am sure that we are all familiar with the adage, ‘do not judge a book by its cover’. I believe that there is wisdom in this saying. However, an attractive book cover sometimes makes me feel that the book must be super awesome; such was the case with The Touch: A Supernatural Story Part I by Robert Flynn III. Was this book as superb as I expected it to be? The short answer is no, but, the book had its highlights.

The Touch features a colourful cast of characters. The story begins at a hospital where Alabama, a Native American works. Alabama receives a 'touch’ that changes her life forever from a terminally ill cancer patient. She soon decides to adopt two twelve-year-old boys, Gabriel and Josh. The focus of the story shifts from Alabama to Gabriel. Gabriel has had supernatural encounters since he was a baby. It seemed obvious that the protagonist was Gabriel. That is, until the focus shifts to several other characters. Two of these other characters are children from Afghanistan. Gabriel and all these other characters share the fact that they can hear a 'Voice' speaking to them in their mind. That 'Voice' may have given them the power of ‘touch’.

I would like to applaud Flynn for the highlights of this novel. The concept of the story is very intriguing. I enjoyed the blending of supernatural and family themes. It was apparent that the 'Voice' chose children and people that had experienced the loss of family members. It makes you wonder whether the voice was genuinely comforting them, or, taking advantage of their vulnerability. Also, I liked that I was not certain about the identity of the 'Voice' until near the big reveal. I was especially glad that this novel was professionally edited. It was evident that the author put effort into writing a great book.

Unfortunately, there were a few cons that I must discuss. The story felt very choppy. As previously mentioned, the focus was shifted from one character to another. At more than one point it felt like I was reading an entirely different book, and the previous story was abruptly stopped. This made it hard to connect with all the characters. Also, I found the author’s writing style grandiloquent. For example, the use of the expressions, “large exquisite knives that he treasured,” and “slid into the most comfortable seat of his rather expensive sports car” were unneeded, maybe even cringe-worthy.

In conclusion, I rate The Touch 2 out of 4 stars . If the novel was not part of a series, I would have given it 3 out of 4 stars. However, this book is obviously part I in a planned series, and I was not persuaded to continue this story. I would also only recommend it to fans of the supernatural genre that are looking for a relatively short reading experience.

The Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: All Together Dead
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Chopped by Bip Wetherell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy » 09 Jul 2019, 15:31

I couldn't agree with you more on your rating. The perspective changes made it difficult to connect to the characters. Without that connection, I had no motivation to continue reading the next novel. The concept of the book was great though wasn't it! Thanks for the review Jaime
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

Charlie19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 » 10 Jul 2019, 00:19

colorful characters makes a story more attractive..this is such an interesting book..good review.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Bulwark by Brit Lunden

Post by Prisallen » 15 Jul 2019, 07:45

It seems as though the concept was good, but it was not executed very well. I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Latest Review: Bulwark by Brit Lunden

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”