Review by Innae -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Innae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innae.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Innae -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Innae »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is about a nation called Voulhire governed by magic and politics. Throughout the book, different characters with different backgrounds reveal Voulhire’s history and present conflicts from their personal perspectives. Stories unravel the plot thickens and climaxes to a cliffhanger ending.

It’s an incredibly captivating book. I have to commend the author for his imagination. In Tysz’s world, anything is possible: ships can fly, telepathy over long distances, fire at your fingertips, etc. I was immersed in this world of magic and I relished it. The author described Caromentis as an alternate universe ruled by magic and mind in contrast to physics and nature. Such imagination is colorful and appealing.

The characters are delightfully scandalous, like Rowan’s relation with the Mayor’s daughter (if you know you know) or the prince with eyebrow piercings and a potty mouth. Not your typical prince charming and not your typical fairy tale story. The diverse range of characters accents the plot exceptionally well. I like how all of their perceptions make a bigger picture that is relatively but not fully revealed in the end.

I appreciate that the medieval setting is paired with modern politics. Power struggles between the king and council, the terrorist group turned a nation, reformation of education, issues in the book that could be related to present-day news and politics.

If I have a criticism, it’s that I wasn’t emotionally attached to the characters. (SPOILER!!!) When Lord Eldus and his family were killed I was shocked but not remorseful (END OF SPOILER!!!). You have well-developed character and intriguing plot I was at the seat edge as I delved deeper into the book. I just suggest you reveal the wants and dreams in the hearts of the characters, so we as readers can become attached to the characters and feel their losses. That is what makes a book memorable.

I did not take notice of any grammatical errors. I would say it was edited well.

I enjoyed reading this book it was a break for my mind from my mundane reality. The author expertly divulged details in a manner that increased my curiosity and built tension to a shocking climax worthy of my anticipation. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The reason I do not give it the full 4 stars is that I didn’t feel that emotional investment for the characters. Besides that fact, it was a splendid book. I highly recommend this book to fantasy lovers. I caution impatient people that the plot takes a while to develop.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Although fantasy isn't my first choice, your review makes me want to read this book. Thank you for a great review!
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

To be honest, I didn't even realise there was so little emotional investment until I read your comment on it. Thinking back on it now, I do see what you mean. Overall, I think my mental investment in the story made up for it.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The lack of emotional investmebt in the characters is a problem but your description of the book otherwise (ships that can fly are awesome!) seems to make me want to push past that anyway. Nice.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”