Review by Mouricia25 -- Murdered by James Schannep

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mouricia25
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 108
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 216
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: Ready to Run by Alexis Zacheries
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Review by Mouricia25 -- Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Mouricia25 » 25 Jun 2019, 01:08

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murdered" by James Schannep.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murdered: Can You Solve the Mystery? by James Schannep is second in the Click Your Poison Book Series. It is an interactive suspense and mystery novel in which you, the reader, are the main character. It starts with the reader being on vacation with their friends in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, four days before the Brazilian Carnival begins. However, you’ve unfortunately gotten separated from them, and this causes you to stumble upon the dead body of a woman, and things just spiral out of control from there.

The opening storyline was pretty simple and sets the tone for the rest of the story. It is the only part of the story that is constant. At the end of each chapter, you are presented with a choice that alters the story. It is a very good concept, and I know it must have taken a lot of hard work and dedication to write so many alternate options.

The one thing I disliked was coming to a dead end and having to start over. It’s a part of the set up of the book, and while I didn’t like it, I didn’t hate it either, and won’t hold it against the novel. What I liked most was that if you came to a dead end, you could always start over, and change the direction of your story.

I made a few wrong turns, and I changed my mind a few times, so I was able to get a glimpse of the other storylines. There is a catch, however, as the book is not sequential. The chapters are written in alphabetical order, so hitting the back button will bring you to the chapter that is ahead of your current position, and will not bring you to the chapter you were in previously. You would need to know the name of the specific chapter you are trying to find so you can jump there directly. I am very impressed with how well the author pulled this off. It cannot have been easy creating three storylines with over 50 alternate endings.

This book was well written and well edited. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because I think it was a great read. I saw no typos or grammatical issues, and the concept was amazing. I would absolutely recommend this book to lovers of mystery, or those would welcome to opportunity to change the outcome of a story while reading. I did not encounter any explicit scenes, and I would say it is safe for teens and above to read.

Murdered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by esp1975 » 26 Jun 2019, 10:34

It's a Choose Your Own Adventure for adults! I loved those books as a kid, and we would read them as a family. While I do not generally read murder mysteries, that aspect may very well get me to buy this book. But I do think I would need to buy the physical copy, because I think trying to go back via an e-reader would be very frustrating.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”