Review by juliusotieno02 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 155
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Review by juliusotieno02 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by juliusotieno02 » 23 Jun 2019, 03:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our childhood experiences often have a huge impact on our adult life, and even on our children's lives later on.The Mindset by Ace Bowers is a memoir which shows how the author's awful childhood experiences engineered his success and shaped his children's lives.

Having been born of and raised by parents who were drug addicts, Ace experienced the worst as a child. He had to witness his parents smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, not to mention the domestic violence which had to occur every night.He started developing depression at a tender age. His self-esteem was lowered and he felt unwanted. They turned out to be poor because his parents mismanaged funds, most of which were channeled to be used to purchase drugs.To make matters worse, his brother was involved in criminal activities and was in and out of jail more often than not.

Having finished highschool, Ace struggled with life. He got employed as a janitor with a minimum wage of $6 USD per hour.He later fell in love with a lady roommate and got her pregnant. The pregnancy announcement marked the turning point of his life.

Having read the book, I feel like I've found myself and I'm ready to realize my full potential!The book is both emotional and motivational. The author insists that our success depends on our mindset, and I agree with him. Since I can relate to some of the author's childhood experiences, I found the book quite relatable and I felt like the author had me in mind.The book is all about self-motivation and changing one's mindset, though there are some elements of family relations and conflicts.

The book was well edited, I didn't find even a single error. The language used was very simple and straight forward, the kind that even a teenager can comprehend. The themes and experiences were relatable, and how the author overcame them was motivational. Those are some of the things I liked most about the book.

Although the book was flawless, I was somehow disappointed. I expected an explicit explanation on how the author turned his life around from a janitor to a billionaire in five years, not the usual narratives of a mindset and self-motivation. I expected a step by step instructions and explanations on how to be a billionaire in five years, which were to include the businesses to get involved in. So, the bottom line is that the book consisted of what I would call "obvious" ideas. Nothing new.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I've decided to take out one star because I didn't find new ideas in the book. If you're looking for a book to guide you on how to be rich in five years, then this shouldn't be your pick, you'll be greatly disappointed. But if you want self-motivation, if your aim is to turn your life around and find yourself, then this will work for you.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by esp1975 » 24 Jun 2019, 15:28

Based on your review, I am guessing this book would annoy me. I do very much believe that mindset is important, it is not everything. And it sounds like this book ignores some really important steps in the process. No one goes from making $6/hour to being a millionaire (much less billionaire) in five years just by having a positive mindset. One needs a lot of luck, some great connections, etc. A book that overlooks that overlooks the struggles of most people trying to survive.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

juliusotieno02
Currently Reading:

Post by juliusotieno02 » 25 Jun 2019, 01:02

esp1975 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 15:28
Based on your review, I am guessing this book would annoy me. I do very much believe that mindset is important, it is not everything. And it sounds like this book ignores some really important steps in the process. No one goes from making $6/hour to being a millionaire (much less billionaire) in five years just by having a positive mindset. One needs a lot of luck, some great connections, etc. A book that overlooks that overlooks the struggles of most people trying to survive.
Exactly what I've been thinking all through, overloading "a mindset" while ignoring some essential elements such as luck and connections. It brings a wrong impression that those who haven't been millionaires have a negative mindset, which is very untrue! Thanks for the comments and for your positive contribution.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Nivi Gideon » 25 Jun 2019, 09:27

I agree with you on the ending of your review, I initially thought the book was one that provided step by step instructions as well. Great review!

juliusotieno02
Currently Reading:

Post by juliusotieno02 » 25 Jun 2019, 11:51

Nivi Gideon wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 09:27
I agree with you on the ending of your review, I initially thought the book was one that provided step by step instructions as well. Great review!
Thanks for your comment and for stopping by
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 168
Currently Reading: Broken Blood
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Advent of Darkness by Gary Caplan
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 25 Jun 2019, 14:50

I actually would have been very surprised if the book gave step-by-step instructions. Although whatever steps he took worked for him, the title of the book kind of tells you it's going to be about his attitude/motivation, not the actual steps. I'll pass on this one as I'm not into self-help reviews. Thanks for your insightful review!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

juliusotieno02
Currently Reading:

Post by juliusotieno02 » 25 Jun 2019, 18:54

Kelyn wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 14:50
I actually would have been very surprised if the book gave step-by-step instructions. Although whatever steps he took worked for him, the title of the book kind of tells you it's going to be about his attitude/motivation, not the actual steps. I'll pass on this one as I'm not into self-help reviews. Thanks for your insightful review!
Thanks for your your comment. Actually, the whole title reads, "The Mindset: How I moved from a janitor to a billionair in five years." i think it's the second part of the tittle that mislead me. Thanks for stopping by.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”