Review by Chrystal Oaks -- Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 79
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Fulfillment
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife by Richard Murphy

Review by Chrystal Oaks -- Cynthia and Dan

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 23 Jun 2019, 00:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading several books that had more serious content and required deep thinking, I was ready to read a light and easy-reading book. Thankfully, Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer fit that description. It is a light romantic-suspense which, sadly, came to an end too fast. This book is a part of “The McBride Series” where the protagonist, Cynthia Patterson, is introduced in previous stories. Even though I hadn’t read the previous books, I found that Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War can be read as a standalone.

Cynthia Patterson works for Senator Mike McBride in Washington, D. C. as a part-time receptionist. Her part-time job is a cover for her real job: “chief of security, investigator and body guard.” While working, she notices terrorists on social media sites trying to connect with and convert impressionable people to their cause. Cynthia decides to start a high-tech war against the terrorists. To accomplish this task, she asks her brother, Glenn, for help. She also hires two young computer experts who work under her brother’s supervision. After meeting with her brother during the lunch hour, Cynthia rushes back to work, but traffic is stopped going into D. C. because of a drone appearing on the White House lawn. Mysteriously, Sky Eastman rescues her from the gridlock and offers her a late lunch. She accepts. Even though Cynthia has a current boyfriend, Dan MacIntyre, she is attracted to this mysterious stranger. Will Sky capture her heart, or will it be Dan? Will she win the high-tech war against the terrorists? Will she discover who is behind the drone incident?

This book was written in the third-person, and a joy to read. Mercer did an excellent job building the characters’ strengths and weaknesses, and of providing enough detail to know what they liked and what they were capable of doing. For example, Cynthia decided that Sky might be dangerous and that she had to cut off all communication from him even though she didn’t want to. She convinced herself to do this by thinking, “Well Cynthia, get going. Mother told you there’d be days like this.” (Page 108) There was a good balance between dialogue, action, and description that helped move the plot along effortlessly. Mercer addresses some serious issues like terrorism, contraceptives, and abortion. I thought she did a superb job of maintaining suspense with these topics without any descriptive violence or gruesome details. Until the end, I was continuously wondering what would happen next.

For everything that I liked about this book, I only had one minor disappointment: the ending felt rushed. I would have liked a little more interaction between Cynthia and the man who won her heart. As a reader, I felt they needed to have a closing discussion and it was just dropped with a happily ever after.

I didn’t find any grammar errors in the Kindle edition; however, I found errors such as missing quotation marks, extra words, missing words, and one misused word. I wish I could give Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War four stars in spite of my minor disappointment with the ending, but there were a few too many errors. With another round of editing, they could have been easily corrected. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the great character development, an engaging plot structure, and a perfect level of suspense. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something that is light and quick. There is a scene near the beginning which is sexually explicit, so I wouldn’t recommend this for younger readers.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Renee_Prior1995 » 24 Jun 2019, 15:44

I have seen a lot of reviews and read some portions of this book. I don't know yet if I will finish it yet, if i can find the time maybe I will. Thanks for a stellar review.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 79
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Fulfillment
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife by Richard Murphy

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 28 Jun 2019, 00:39

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: ↑
24 Jun 2019, 15:44
I have seen a lot of reviews and read some portions of this book. I don't know yet if I will finish it yet, if i can find the time maybe I will. Thanks for a stellar review.
I can appreciate the frustration of trying to find time. When you're able to steal a little time, I think you'll find this a relaxing book because nothing bad happens. Thank you for reading and leaving a positive comment. :-)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”