Review by Debottam_55 -- The Sins of a Master Race

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Debottam_55
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Debottam_55 -- The Sins of a Master Race

Post by Debottam_55 » 22 Jun 2019, 10:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sins of a Master Race" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz is fantasy fiction. The novel juxtaposes the modern world with the fantasy world of Interstate. It starts with the scene of Aurora and Defury confronting a handsome god, Alden, sitting on a throne of leaves. They come from a mysterious prison called, Anima Mea. Both Aurora and Defury manage to kill Alden, as they aim to kill all the beneficiaries of the prison. The novel then takes a diversion to tell the story of Interstate and its ruler, the Grandmaster, also known as Scholar. The stories of Interstate, Cattleprod and Sojourn are interwoven to tell a story of mystery and war. The tales of loyalty, friendship and leadership are told.

The theme of the novel revolves around fantasy and war. The story only ever deviates from these themes to concern itself with issues such as friendship, as that between Ashley and Grandmaster. However, after the first chapter, the novel moves away from that story to focus on the city of Interstate and its affairs. The plot loses direction and then disintegrates into the tales of minute details regarding Interstate. The action described in the novel is detailed and interesting. The sense of mystery is deliberately slowed down as the author intends to prolong the sense of unknown. The sense of mystery collapses as the narration fails to be compact and interesting.

The characters are vague. There is not enough context behind any particular character so that the reader can invest in its development. The novel fails to build any one character to properly build the novel around it. Even the setting is vague. The city of Interstate appears to have an interesting history but nothing concrete is ever described. Characters, such as that of the Grandmaster and Ashley appear to be interesting only on the surface level. They are never properly built.

The most likeable aspect of the novel is the fact that it presents a beautiful juxtaposition of the fantasy and the real. This helps in relating the fantastical aspects of the novel, once they are presented. However, the narration of the novel lets everything down, and this becomes the most dislikable aspect of the novel. Matthew Tysz presents a very imaginative world but his storytelling lets the novel down.

I rate The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz 1 out of 4 stars. The novel had potential. There were spots inside the novel that seemed really fun and intriguing, however, they were few and far between. They fail to count as anything significant. The world presented inside the novel is one filled with mystery but no other aspect of the novel manages to back it up. The novel has no grammatical or editorial errors, which is commendable. The novel is recommended to avid fantasy fiction lovers, however, the complicated narration and plot might pose a difficulty in enjoying the novel.

The Sins of a Master Race
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: If you looked at me... by Wanda Remmers

Post by Nivi Gideon » 25 Jun 2019, 15:07

I read this book recently and I'm happy that I'm not the only one who did not thoroughly enjoy it. Thank you for the great, detailed review!

Debottam_55
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Debottam_55 » 26 Jun 2019, 13:18

Nivi Gideon wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 15:07
I read this book recently and I'm happy that I'm not the only one who did not thoroughly enjoy it. Thank you for the great, detailed review!

Thank you for liking my review
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 26 Jun 2019, 14:43

Doesn't sound like a great read, so I'll keep walking! Thank you for your review, which is very informative.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Daredevils by Anne Greene

Post by kdstrack » 26 Jun 2019, 16:43

Your opening description, with Aurora y Defury being able to kill the god Alden, looked interesting. The story doesn't seem to go anywhere from there. I appreciate your opinions about this book. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”