Review by imSunshine -- Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
imSunshine
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review by imSunshine -- Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you into adventure? What are you willing to do in order to make your fantasies come true? Well, if you are an adventurer or not, Bluewater Walkabout is a good book about adventure and life risks.

Author, Tina Dreffin shared some of her greatest and unforgettable life experience in her non-fiction book Bluewater Walkabout. It focused on her adventure on the wild waters of southern Africa. She, her husband, their two kids, and two friends turned their back on the life on the lands to experience a life in the ocean. The story will slowly wreck your heart as the characters face most of their life’s dangerous encounters especially with a country that is less tolerant to strangers. It’s fun, exciting, and thrilling at the same time.

This wonderful memoir about different life’s journey into the wild and beautiful nature, the excitement and nervousness when adapting new cultures, the toughness when dealing with foreigners, and the mental pressure when strategizing to live and survive on the sea satisfied my cravings. I liked that the content offered an appetizing menu. The fun was available along with other drama, romance, and thrill. Because this is non-fiction, anyone could really reflect on it. There were many lessons I’ve learned from it like how to be more cautious and be more rational especially when it comes to life’s decisions. Also, I have learned to be careful with the people around you because they might hit you unexpectedly. Like when the author discussed when she was sexually assaulted. And, when she talked about her child loss, these two events made me sympathetic and emotional. I was thinking that this woman is really tough and I adored her for being one.

It was never easy to be in so much challenge, sometimes it’s crazy to face rough tragedies. Yet, this woman and her entire family survived those tragedies. All of us experiences different tragedies, I’m sure. And, I wished that like the story, we will also overcome our challenges in life. No matter how hard it is, I wished that we will be stronger just like them. This book just gave me so much emotion that I found myself so dramatic lately.

So far, I enjoyed the book except the part where the author rapidly alter one timeline to another. I think it’s sort of confusing. Also, there were characters who are endorsed without an introduction. I felt like the author felt overwhelmed when she wrote the story that she didn’t mind collecting her thoughts and organize them pretty well. But, despite this I was still able to satisfy myself with the lessons and adventure I got from the book. That’s why I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to everyone who loves to read true-to-life stories.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: The Happy Place
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Shackles and More Gripping Tales by James Hanna

Post by Letora »

Whenever I see a book about people living on the ocean, it tends to be based in North America. I would love to read this and see what it is like to out on the ocean in Southern Africa. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”