Review by jvita -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josh Vita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josh-vita.html
Latest Review: The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky

Review by jvita -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Josh Vita »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Smith" by Sam B Miller II.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In an interesting mix of fantasy, mystery, and history, Sam B. Miller II's Smith carries you through eighteen-year-old Jake Goddard's journey learning to harness the ancient and terrifying powers hidden within the long-lost ring of King Solomon.

While accompanying his dad on an archaeological dig at a newly discovered site in Israel, Jake stumbles into a hidden room where he finds the severed finger of King Solomon with an ancient ring wrapped around it. Taking the ring for his own, Jake begins hearing a voice in his head that claims to be able to provide him with access to magical powers beyond his belief. The voice, calling itself "Smith", says that it was instrumental in King Solomon's rise to power and responsible for many of Solomon's prodigious achievements. Smith says that he has been waiting for almost 3,000 years for the appearance of someone such as Jake who can master the powers contained within the ring. With Jake wielding the ring, Smith promises to protect Jake and to transform him into a modern-era Solomon, regardless of what it might take...

Overall, I found Smith to be an intriguing, if relatively quick read. While the story reads like an archetypal fantasy/thriller novel, centering the book around a relatively unfamiliar relic (i.e. the ring of Solomon) offered a fun change of pace that introduced me to a whole domain of historical legends that I had never been exposed to before. In addition to this, the world that Miller created around this legend was clearly well thought out. Jake’s gradual growth from a rebellious teen into a responsible young man, his discovery of the different groups interested in the ring; all of these aspects had good buildup throughout the story and fit naturally into the feel of the world.

Unfortunately, while it was clear that the author had a mental picture of the overarching story-line and character development that he wanted, the actual execution of the writing felt haphazard and forced. Transitions between plot points were brief, sudden, or sometimes even non-existent. At some points the story began taking the form of back-to-back action scenes that, while pushing certain plot points forward and introducing a healthy level of excitement, quickly became repetitive and almost indistinguishable from one another.

Though I can’t say I necessarily loved the book, I truly enjoyed the main premises of the story. As I was reading, I found myself constantly wanting to know more of the detail and backstory behind the unique and creative characters and adventures that Miller was creating. I think that if the author were able to flesh out the story-line a bit better, Smith could easily become a thrilling and popular novel. In the end, I would rate Smith as 2 out of 4 stars, and I look forward to whatever new works Sam Miller comes up with. Readers who enjoy fast-paced action with a mix of magic will enjoy this book.

Smith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jvita's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”