Review by Wriley -- Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Review by Wriley -- Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Wriley » 13 Jun 2019, 14:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "Happy Healing" by Dominique Bourlet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Happy Healing: 8 Magic Steps to Relieve Physical Pain and Discomfort by Dominique Bourlet teaches self-healing through a method he develops to assist his acupuncture patients to obtain healing from the physical effects of diseases and psychosomatic issues. This pain may be real physical problems such as chronic pain issues. These problems also may be completely psychological problems themselves such as depression and anorexia. The author begins by emphasizing that the patient is the only person who knows what the body feels.

The Happy Healing method is divided into three phases with the third phase having six steps. Phase one is the evaluation of the pain level and the location of the physical pain. The second phase deals with the emotional consequences or the anger towards the pain. The second phases also includes naming the part of the body in pain, a real name such as Jack. Phase three is divided into six steps. These steps are compassion, gratitude, humility, joy, love and peacefulness. As the patient works through these steps, they go from pain to being one with their body and love for the body as a whole.

The Happy Heading method is described thoroughly with several examples given. The book is effective in conveying the message of the method. Charts and illustrations are an added bonus that makes at-home practice more effective. I am impressed by the bonus materials and thought they were helpful. Bourlet hopes to improve the lives of others with the Happy Healing method and succeeds in effectively explaining the steps.

I disliked most the disjointed feel of the book as a whole. The first thing I noted while reading was that this book was not written by someone who speaks English as a first language. I was correct in that assumption when I read the acknowledgements. His native language is French. He has help writing the book in English. Since English isn't Bourlet’s first language the book format seems a bit odd. The eight steps are named by using phases as the main categories as well as the six steps in phase three. Until I understood what Bourlet meant, this was confusing.

The book is not professionally edited. Bourlet states this at the end of the book. I found no spelling errors but did find several formatting issues. Different size font is used where the size should have been consistent. He also repeats what his acronyms mean several times in different chapters. It appears Bourlet had no book outline.

I recommend Happy Healing for people struggling with physical or psychological pain. The book has enough nuggets of truth that really anyone could benefit from reading. I rate the book 3 out 4 stars taking a point off for formatting that causes confusion. Overall, the book is effective in explaining the steps of the Happy Healing method.

Happy Healing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Wriley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 169
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: A Walk On The Dark Side by A von Gerhardt

Post by Bluebird03 » 16 Jun 2019, 13:36

While I have also read this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it again through your eyes. You summarized it beautifully. Great review!

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by maggi3 » 16 Jun 2019, 17:49

This book seems to have the potential to help many people. The formatting issues wouldn't bother me too much, so I might try this one out. Thanks for the review!

Artizi
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi » 16 Jun 2019, 21:30

I am not a big fan of self-help books but you did a good job describing it as a whole. I don't think I'll read it, though. Kudos on the review!

If you wouldn't mind checking my latest review, that would be greatly appreciated!

All the best!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Wriley » 18 Jun 2019, 12:03

Thanks for the compliments. The formatting really did take away from the book.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Daredevils by Anne Greene

Post by kdstrack » 20 Jun 2019, 14:25

I enjoyed your thorough synopsis of the book. Your description of the different stages was informative. I especially liked how you explained identifying the anger toward pain in phase two and developing positive attitudes in phase three. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”