Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The King of May

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: Arsenic and Old Men
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The King of May

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 11 Jun 2019, 02:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "The King of May" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The King of May by Matthew Tyzs is a novel about post-apocalyptic America. Certain empowered individuals took it upon themselves to apportion and govern the remaining surviving colonies. It was not exactly that the planet was nuked. But maybe it was far much worse for portions of America, or of the planet itself, was torn off along the edges of what remained as the habitable world. The sky could be seen down below, now with weird weather pattern and coloration.

Technology was well developed during these times. Psychic development had reached epic heights. There arose from among men gods capable of controlling specific natural phenomena or did so by their whims, at times in pursuit of horrific ends. The king of May was one such god, and having the control of light and darkness, he wields the power for much mischief. And so, Cattleprod, the lord of one colony wanted this god and others like him killed. The gods, it turned out, were not immune to death despite their powers, and were of such frailty that they can’t cure themselves. The king of May, for instance, is afflicted by a skin disorder that manifested in flaps of diseased skins hanging by his jaw, while another god had Down’s syndrome. It was in the midst of this scenario that two heroes emerged, assassins actually. They were Ashley, a Manhattan stud, and Scholar, a graduate of Sniper’s Institute for Mercenary Operations. To their credit, they had already killed two gods and counting.

I was hooked at the very start by the mystery permeating the novel. Added to this, the distinct humor of Matthew Tyzs shows pleasantly here which seems somewhat ironic and satirical, while bordering on the sardonic. He always creates a maelstrom to suck the protagonists in. He depicted the gods very much like ordinary human beings, with interests to safeguard, albeit in conflict with that of the other gods. Now, imagine yourself a god of plants, and your wife, the god of storms. Won’t that brew trouble in Paradise? Would you hire an assassin to stop her from doing more shenanigans?

I am amazed at the extent of the author’s imaginative power in creating a cataclysmic world order in the wake of an event short of a polar shift. Should the natural earthly processes turn haywire due to the unlikely tinkering by individuals who acquired godlike powers, how would the common mind, not privy to a smidgen of technology or spiritual power, respond to the crisis? These are interesting hypothetical scenarios delved into by the novel.

What I did not like a bit is the portrayal of the king of May. The viciousness of the character transcends evil and depravity. During the time of the gallant knights, a fallen adversary may still be accorded honors due a worthy opponent. In yet still, distant time, if it so happens that you fight a cannibalistic foe, and you lose, he might eat you – still a natural process, beast of prey do it. But with the king of May, you could be conquered and ravaged. This decimates flesh and spirit altogether.

I would recommend this novel to those who love fantasy stories. It is well edited and an engrossing read. It deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The King of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...But even now, with you here by my side,
...To call it less than Heaven, I deride.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 135)

Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by Renee_Prior1995 » 12 Jun 2019, 21:30

I am currently reading this very book. I really like your review. I am excited to see what the rest of the book holds.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: Control Room
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Amanda Deck » 14 Jun 2019, 17:54

He always creates a maelstrom to suck the protagonists in.
Boy, isn't that the truth!
He does that to me too. I detest crude vulgarity but his out-of-this-world imagination and writing skills suck me in anyway.

Artizi
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi » 15 Jun 2019, 18:56

This is an amazingly detailed review! I am so glad you enjoyed this book so much even if you didn't quite fancy its antagonist. I might give this book a try!

If you wouldn't mind checking my latest review, that would be greatly appreciated!

All the best!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 19 Jul 2019, 00:04

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: ↑
12 Jun 2019, 21:30
I am currently reading this very book. I really like your review. I am excited to see what the rest of the book holds.
Thanks for visiting. And not to spoil your suspense, I might come as much as to tell you that some of the characters tend to "slant" somewhat in their utterances. Find about it yourself as to which one.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 19 Jul 2019, 00:06

Amanda Deck wrote: ↑
14 Jun 2019, 17:54
He always creates a maelstrom to suck the protagonists in.
Boy, isn't that the truth!
He does that to me too. I detest crude vulgarity but his out-of-this-world imagination and writing skills suck me in anyway.
Thanks for dropping by.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 19 Jul 2019, 00:07

Artizi wrote: ↑
15 Jun 2019, 18:56
This is an amazingly detailed review! I am so glad you enjoyed this book so much even if you didn't quite fancy its antagonist. I might give this book a try!

If you wouldn't mind checking my latest review, that would be greatly appreciated!

All the best!
Thanks for passing by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”