Review by Tugglit -- Mythic Worlds and the One You Can B...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Tugglit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tugglit.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Review by Tugglit -- Mythic Worlds and the One You Can B...

Post by Tugglit » 08 Jun 2019, 03:08

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In" by Harold Toliver.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was so excited to read this book after reading the title. I was under the impression that a book titled Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In was going to discuss the magical mystical worlds of fiction. Perhaps it would compare the different realms where magic is real. Perhaps it would discuss the plausibility of the mythical beasts of these worlds and if they could ever survive in reality. I hoped it would answer questions about which magical construct is most likely to exist. Author Harold Toliver could not have disappointed more. Instead of discussing any of the aforementioned topics, Mr. Toliver discusses what is real based on what can be proven scientifically. The first paragraph in chapter two gives a pretty sound overview of the topics the book does discuss.

Wouldn’t it be nice, one thinks, if noses really did grow longer at least temporarily
with each fabrication put forth as real. As it is we only have common experience and
science to separate reality from semblance. I propose in this chapter to test key
discourse kinds from casual to methodical to see how well they match up with geology,
physics, chemistry, astronomy, and common experience say about natural history. Can we
sort out chronically misleading illusions on that basis? I believe we can to a limited
extent by learning to be more habitually objective, though that eventually gets us
involved in how the brain processes sensory experience and invents what it finds wanting.

While this paragraph may be readable, I promise you, the majority of this book is not. Nor does it discuss any of the mythical realms of fiction. The rest of this book reads like the following expert which was sourced from The Poke.;

"Amongst those interviewed were Merle Haggard’s two ex-wives, Kris Krisofferson and
Robert Duvall.

This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

Highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old
demigod and a dildo collector.”

The Oxford comma is a comma immediately preceding the coordinating conjunction in a series of three or more. While it is not necessarily required, the effect it has on clarity is undeniable. Now, I don’t know if Mr. Toliver refuses to use the Oxford comma out of spite because he’s affiliated with Cambridge, but it would do wonders for his writing. While it was obvious the information discussed was well researched and cited, I have to say that finishing this book was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my literary career. As an English major required to read hundreds of published works against my will, this was by far the most painful. It has surpassed my loathing for Melville’s Moby Dick and is now, officially the worst piece of literature I’ve ever read. I give this book one out of four stars, as I cannot give it a lower rating. I’m under the impression that the only people who would be interested in this piece is a student writing some sort of philosophy or physics paper.

Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tugglit's review? Post a comment saying so!

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 09 Jun 2019, 06:49

I also found this book a difficult one. Your point on the author's use of commas is also bang on the money! Thanks for your very honest review - parts of it actually made me laugh out loud. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”