Review by KCWolf -- The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: Island of Exiles
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by KCWolf -- The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by KCWolf » 05 Jun 2019, 21:01

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sparrow" by Denna M. Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I truly enjoyed reading The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis. Thus, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I had only noticed 2 small errors in this otherwise flawless book. The characters and setting were vivid, unique, and believable. And, I really related to the character of Amanda, as well as her grandmother Rose.

The Sparrow is a story of Amanda, a teenage girl who is facing turmoil in her life and is sent to live with her loving grandmother, Rose for the summer. But, Rose knows a secret about Amanda’s true identity which is yet to be revealed—with a destiny more glorious than anything she could imagine on Earth. She is transported to a mystical world known as Emaji and meets the handsome Solomon whose destiny is tied to her own. In this colorful, mystical realm the people struggle under the threat of a tyrant Zorn and the mysterious, evil entity Rasha. At first, it is a little too much for Amanda to grasp. Eventually, Amanda accepts that she is indeed the Sparrow that was prophesied to defeat Zorn and save the people of Emaji. However, Rasha and Zorn also know about the prophecy and plot to destroy her before she can fulfill her destiny. This story is a journey of discovery into who Amanda really is—The Sparrow—and serves well as an introductory to this series, The Emaji Nation. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series.

What I liked most was the setting of Emaji, the beautiful colors of the realm, and the people's changing skin tones. I loved how the magic is tied to the elements of nature. I admired Denna M. Davis’ character development and world-building prowess. It is on par with C.S. Lewis and Mercedes Lackey, and I mean that as the highest of compliments. I loved reading about the people of Emaji, colorful literally and figuratively, and their ties to elemental magic.

I also enjoyed the themes and plot within the novel; the plot flowed smoothly and it did not drag at all. Denna M. Davis writes with an eloquent, smooth voice and style made reading this book even more enjoyable, as she brought the world of Emaji to life through her words.

What I disliked most was that there seemed to be too many villains for such a streamlined story. It made for some confusion. For instance, the character Leah, an atypical the femme fatale, just seemed like an unnecessary character insert when there were already more crucial and more powerful villains for the Sparrow to defeat. However, maybe if Leah had other motives besides envy, it would have made a difference.

I do think this book will appeal to fans of Twilight, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Hunger Games. It appeals to teens, young adults, and anyone who loves fantasy with a bit of a sweet love story woven into the plot.
I look forward to reading the rest of this series.

The Sparrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KCWolf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Redemption Trails.
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”