Review by Tamorie21 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peni...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Review by Tamorie21 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peni...

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi is the eighth installation in a series following the adventures of a sassy Siberian cat, Inca, and her fellow Detective Agency family and friends. Accompanying their human mother, Missy, to South Korea for a cheese patisserie competition, Inca and her animal companions quickly encounter challenges in the enchanting land when Missy’s prize-winning cheese abruptly goes missing! Not to mention the more distressing situation involving their kind South Korean tour guide, Ye-Jun, who desires a life with his sister, Ji, from whom he is separated by the North-South Korean border.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula features intriguing themes and content-matter (such as loyalty, fear/bravery, peace/conflict, and forced separation of family members) and I enjoyed reading such important topics where I was able to put myself in the shoes (and paws) of the book’s characters. Kristi's characterization of Inca and Fromage, Inca's brother, were especially entertaining, as both kitties certainly enjoy a high sense of self-importance. I was also highly interested in the vibrant, cute, and neat illustrations presented by Jorge Valle that went along very well with R.F. Kristi’s easygoing, and yet, historically educational storytelling.

Something I didn’t enjoy so much about the book was the overuse of elevated diction presented with inconsistent “word help.” In one instance, “chef (cook)” appeared in the story, something I appreciated as helpful/educational for young readers, until several much more challenging words appeared without such help. Many, many difficult words such as “patisserie” and “diminutive” were used in place of less challenging alternatives or the addition of parenthesized synonyms (which only came to frustrate me after seeing the rather-easy-in-comparison “chef (cook)” example from early in the book).

I was also a bit unimpressed with the book’s dialogue format which often broke paragraphs at each sentence and caused one speaker’s speech to span the entire page. Rather than helpful, I felt the style odd and potentially confusing, as readers will usually encounter a new speaker at each paragraph of dialogue; however, this wasn’t a deal-breaker.

In all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars as I found the story cute, thought-provoking and rather personal. I would recommend this to parents, young readers, and those whose interests encompass themes of friendship and family, loyalty, bravery, and the pursuit of peace and happiness.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tamorie21's review? Post a comment saying so!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Seems like dialogue is a major issue for this author. Thank you for the review.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

CommMayo wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:45 Seems like dialogue is a major issue for this author. Thank you for the review.
It certainly was! I expected something much more suitable for younger readers. Thanks for taking the time to read this review :)
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”