Review by starkpages -- A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starkpages
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkpages.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by starkpages -- A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by starkpages »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Loaf Of Bread" by Rana Bitar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Loaf of Bread written by Rana Bitar is a collection of poem reliving the horrific and painful experience of being a witness and a survivor during the years of Syrian civil war. This work of art started from describing the peaceful life she had and then escalating towards the destruction that the war left her. She was able to write not only from her own perspective but also from her fellow Syrians who endured great suffering more likely because of what she saw with her own eyes and what she felt with it.

This literary work consists of only 36 pages yet it was enough for the author to astound her readers with her writing style woven with the extreme emotions she bottled up from cruel experience. Each page was immersed with vivid happenings and raw emotions that Bitar poured with all her heart. Though short, I was able to feel what she felt and see what she saw.

A Loaf of Bread left permanent imprints on me in the way that every word the author wrote spoke to me and told me her story. The essence of this book is knowing the author without even meeting her personally. A rushing empathy for the Syrians including Bitar is what I felt throughout reading this. Even if painful, books like this are so compelling because it is authentic evidence of grievous experiences people unfortunately undergo. Moreover, this book is not just about retelling, it is about celebrating love amidst death “because the opposite of death is not life” but love which makes it unforgettable. Thinking about it, Bitar was able to make something remarkable from her pain and I think it’s what made her book so real, poignant and powerful.

All things considered, I am giving this book four out of four stars. This book is hauntingly beautiful for behind the brilliant writing style of the author is the horrors the war inflicted on her homeland. I loved everything about Bitar’s work and I am looking forward to reading similar eye-opening books to A Loaf of Bread.

I totally recommend this book to anyone. Even if you’re not into poetry, historical fiction or even into reading, you will see yourself reading it until the end page. It is a short book but a fruitful and fulfilling one where you can find yourself a witness to other people’s experiences just by reading.

A Loaf Of Bread
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like starkpages's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”