Review by luz0928 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
luz0928
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by luz0928 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by luz0928 » 31 May 2019, 11:12

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, is a fantasy and adventure book that occurs on a fictional world. At first describes the Lands of the Princes that carries a long war, and then the rest of the story is developed in Voulhire, the region of the world that it's supposed to go through its golden age. The main charater is Galen Bray, a young immigrant from the Lands of the Princes that inherites his great uncle's forge in Voulhire. In a parallel manner, the King of Voulhire assigns Lord Eldus to Hillport's castle, that went through a really sad and deceptive story. Is it the evil mage Meldorath really dead? is the king lying to his people? will Hillport overcome what happened?

The description of the book said "Like Game of Thrones, except less sex and more magic." The second part it's completely true, the book it's filled with magic and no +18 scenes, that's something I liked, but I didn't think it was anything like Game of Thrones. Not that it's something bad, on the contrary, you find here a world on its own that uses magic as we use technology nowadays. That is something I thought was really fun, if you wanted to build an ice rink, you needed a mage to keep the ice frozen. The world described in Voulhire was a combination of the middle ages with technology made through magic and a little more knowledge on mechanics and steam engines. That was pretty interesting.

One thing I didn't like, although I can understand, it's that Galen was too naive in my opinion. I know that he came from a country in war since he was eight years old, but in that case I would think that he would have needed to be more ingenious to survive those conditions and maybe not to trust everybody he meets, I think that will backfire in the next book.

You can also feel that you need all the introductions and explanations about the magic world and how everything got where they are right now. You know that the story will end up being a book series because it needs more and more pages to get to a conclusion, and this book is just the beginning.

In conclusion, my rating is 3 out of 4. I'm curious about what happens next in the story, but it's not something I need to know desesperately. The story has great potential though. Also, I noticed one typo: On page 90, it says: "When they were finished with their deserts" and in that context it should say "desserts".

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like luz0928's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”