Review by Gaby+LysMom2KB -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gaby+LysMom2KB
Currently Reading: Sink Reflections
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaby-lysmom2kb.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Gaby+LysMom2KB -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Gaby+LysMom2KB »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lots of scientific studies were done and referred to by Morton E. Tavel, M D in his book, Health Tips, Myths and Tricks - A Physician's Advice . He covered a lot of topics and explained many tips, myths concerning many health issues that we are all aware of and tricks to use to make our lives easier.

On the subject of losing weight, what Dr. Tavel says is mainly common sense. We should have less fat, less carbs, avoid high sugar drinks. We could eat more lean protein, fruits and vegetables. Our "mother" was right! Results of the American Heart Association study showed that eating breakfast in the morning could reduce your risk of disease. Dr. Morton Tavel used a good, sometimes dry, sense of humor to put across his information.

Chocolate (dark cacao with less trans or saturated fats) is beneficial, and filtered coffee is good, when used in moderation. Fish, those containing less mercury (salmon, tilapia, shrimp, scallops and haddock) should be eaten and limited to 12 ounces per week. All of us should include more colorful fruits in our meal plans. They include raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, as well as black currants and eggplant. Did you realize that sweet potatoes have more potassium than bananas? One potato has 694 mg. of potassium, and only 131 calories and lots of fiber and Vitamin A . . . cooked any way you like it!

Arsenic is a natural substance that is found in air, dirt, water and certain foods. The inorganic form is more toxic. The FDA has proven that there are large amounts of this toxin in rice products, some beers and some juices (apple and grape). Who would think that brown rice is worse than white instant rice? I always thought that brown rice would be healthier than the white, enriched, starchy kind. Reading this book has taught me many surprising things about foods.

To discover more facts about the myths of dietary and health supplements, check out www.fda.gov/medwatch . You can learn about any recalls, alerts or warnings - what to take or not take. Here is another suggestion he gives that is worth noting. Don't let all those TV commercials promoting specialized drugs (Crestor, Celebrex, Cymbalta, to name a few) lead you on. It's best to ignore them. Always ask your primary doctor for advice and the generic brand of any drug that you might need. It could be cheaper and just as effective. Don't be swayed by "snake oil" scams - whatever form of media is used. BUYERS BEWARE!

I would give this book Health Tips, Myths and Tricks - A Physician's Advice by Morton E. Tavel, MD a 3 out of 4 stars . What I disliked most was the information in the chapter: Standard Care compared to Chiropractic Treatment. According to a book "Spin Doctors: The Chiropractic Industry Under Examination" by Benedetti and MacPhail, there is a lack of unifying principles used by Chiropractors. The spinal condition Chiropractors refer to as "subluxation" is an outdated concept. They use whacky devices for treatments. Other techniques, such as Cranio Sacral Therapy, Reflexology, Applied Kinesiology and Acupuncture are unproven and not beneficial. Regardless of whether Dr. Tavel agrees totally or partially with these authors, I tend to disagree. Having been a Licensed Massage Therapist for over 15 years, I have found these "other"/ alternative techniques helpful and beneficial for my clients as well as myself.

What I enjoyed most about his book was the amount and details of his references. Many scientific studies were done on many health topics. These are all of major concern to people around the world, not just here in the United States. People with weight issues, intestinal issues, heart conditions, hypertension and diabetes can benefit from reading this book. Even healthy people of all ages, men, women and children, can relate to his varied information. This is why I would give the 3 out of 4 stars rating. I would normally not give anything a perfect score. The editing of his book was definitely professional and close to perfect. I saw only one or two typo mistakes.

I would highly suggest you read this book by Dr. Morton Tavel . It could help you save money. It could help you make wiser choices and decisions about your health. It could guide you to become your own advocate. Learn what is relevant to you in Health Tips, Myths and Tricks - A Physician's Advice and let go of the rest.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gaby+LysMom2KB's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”