Review by TalonFox -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TalonFox
Currently Reading: Project ELE
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talonfox.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by TalonFox -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by TalonFox »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re looking for a book to keep you coming back, this is it. The first few chapters are a flurry of drama and sex that will leave you captivated and yearning for more. The author, H. M. Irwing, is with no doubt an amazing writer of erotica. The beginning of the book starts out with wonder, as the scene at a funeral is full of mixed emotions. The dead man's stepdaughter, unaffected by his passing takes the role as a main character. Quickly her abusive past reveals itself into the plot as she walks unknowingly toward more danger. It’s an eye catching tale no doubt. All that being said, I did notice a few things that took me out of the novel, though they were never during the steamy moments.

First off, I feel this book needs a good double-take by an editor. There were a number of missing quotations, and mistaken dates. The entire book Anna, the main character in Heartaches, states how her and her ex boyfriend Matt were together for 6 months. This leads me to think that the sentence in which she states “Two months.” is an error.

Another problem I found was my constant bafflement with what year the plot is set in. I’m not sure if it was the setting, or the overall vague introduction, but I was certain of an older era. Beginning the book I was picturing early 1900’s, but quickly realized it was closer to the early 2000’s. Even this I have doubts about though, as the characters often speak very proper English, nothing like the contemporary mannerisms of today. The only thing that brought me to a more recent dated conclusion was the mention of ordering clothes off the internet.

Although I am pointing out a lot of important errors when it comes to writing, I did enjoy the book. As I stated previously, the writer is fantastic in describing anything involving sex or tension. DO NOT read this around family, especially if you’re prone to blushing! I don’t know how the author does it but the men always say the right thing. To quote; “I wouldn’t mind death if it meant a life spent with you.” How could you not swoon to that??

All in all I’m looking forward to reading the second book in this series, and the third. I’ve also found that the author has written a few other stories, which I will definitely be looking into.This is a 3 out of 4 for me.The erotica is just so good! I would definitely recommend this book to my fellow romance lovers, as long as they are not dissuaded by simple errors.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TalonFox's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”