Review by juliusotieno02 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 135
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Review by juliusotieno02 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by juliusotieno02 » 28 May 2019, 04:07

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Mathew Tysz is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. It is a very interesting science fiction and fantasy book with a setting in the medieval times.

The Empire of Lullabies has suspected that his four sons, who, according to the law of their land, all have an equal claim to the throne, are planning to overthrow him. He smartly allocates an island for each prince. He further gives each of them a sizable group of armies to help them protect their new lands. But the princes are soon at war with each other. This war leaves several people dead, and a great number migrates for the kingdom of Voulhire.

The kingdom of Voulhire is the most prosperous and peaceful land of all. Its citizens are characterized by hard work and dedication towards making the kingdom great. Now, King Wilhelm of Voulhire is a very friendly and loved person. He works toward ensuring that none of the citizens suffer. But Voulhire also had enemies who I would simply call "terrorists" because of their lack of humanity; they murder innocent citizens in cold blood. The Riva Rohavi, a rebel army whose main aim is to overthrow the King and rule over Voulhire, joins with Lord Meldorath, a highly evil and powerful Marge who will stop at nothing to make sure he achieves whatever he wants. Will Voulhire survive?

Well, This is a well written book with several themes and interesting plotting. This is the exact definition of a page turner! Being only 138 pages, I must say I just read it in a single sitting! Still, on the themes, war and conflict dominates a good number of the pages. There are also themes of governance, monarchy, supernatural powers and religion. This is a character driven book where each situation, theme or topic is clearly and adequately analyzed by each character and in their own individual perspective. So, basically, the characters are this book's main strength! Anyone who loves character driven books is sure to find this one enjoyable.

I liked several things about this book. First, the editing was so good; a whole novel without any noticeable grammatical or spelling error is surely thoroughly worked on. The mixing of the third person's and the first person's point of view gave a clear picture of every event as well as character development. All these things excited me.

Although the book was generally well written, there were a few things I didn't like. The author unwound several stories but failed to merge them at the end. This proved very uncomfortable and unpleasant to me. For instance, the story of the Voulhire and that of Galen Bray were not merged at the end. This felt like reading two unrelated novels at a time. The killing of some main characters, such as the Lord Eldus of Hillport also didn't please me, but that's purely personal taste. Although there were no grammatical or spelling errors, I found some structural errors though they didn't have any impact on my reading.

Because of a nice storyline, good character development and an excellent editing, I'm glad to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who loves medieval tales especially those filled with magical powers. Anyone who hate magic, war and explicit violence scenes may find it offensive. Although the use of vulgar language wasn't dominant in this book, Rowan, a character in the story, used some of it. For that reason, it may be unsuitable for children.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotieno02's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

aolayide
Currently Reading: Coached to Greatness
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by aolayide » 19 Jun 2019, 07:50

Foremost, I like a character-driven book. That it features war and conflicts and sometimes peace, makes it appealing. I must say I don't like murder or violence, still, kingdoms are continuously at war with each other. Well, I would say I do not like how the author left some loose ends, still, I appreciate a good story.

Nice review!

juliusotieno02

Post by juliusotieno02 » 20 Jun 2019, 05:17

aolayide wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 07:50
Foremost, I like a character-driven book. That it features war and conflicts and sometimes peace, makes it appealing. I must say I don't like murder or violence, still, kingdoms are continuously at war with each other. Well, I would say I do not like how the author left some loose ends, still, I appreciate a good story.

Nice review!
Thanks so much for the comment. Considering your comment, i'm sure you'll enjoy this book since your dislikes are very minimal throughout the story.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Chemist: A Psychological Thriller by Stephanie Colbert

Post by Prisallen » 21 Jun 2019, 08:25

This sounds like a well-written, character-driven story that I would really enjoy. Do you think he failed to merge the two main storylines because he plans to in the next book? Thank you for a wonderful and informative review!

juliusotieno02

Post by juliusotieno02 » 24 Jun 2019, 05:51

Prisallen wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 08:25
This sounds like a well-written, character-driven story that I would really enjoy. Do you think he failed to merge the two main storylines because he plans to in the next book? Thank you for a wonderful and informative review!
Thanks for the comment, I've read the next two book in the series and i'm proud to report that he is actually merging the stories. Thanks for stopping by.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”