Review by Jlprince26 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Review by Jlprince26 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jlprince26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games; Mystery of the Four Quadrants written by Caleb J. Boyer is an inspiring story of two young boys who overcome obstacles. While stranded on an island they must fight the elements, beasts, hunger and dehydration to stay alive and find a way off the island.

Matthew and Ryan wake up on a deserted island. Lost, confused, and alone the boys have to find a way to get off the island. Their search for food and water leads them to four different quadrants of the island, where they are met with challenges. Their journey starts on a beach and unfolds to new surroundings with every challenge. Faced with these challenges, they soon realize they must work together to reap the rewards and get off the island.

They have a hard time at first. Facing many dangers, from sharks to unknown creatures with sharp teeth, Matthew and Ryan, find the warriors within themselves to endure and complete the challenges. Fear of death by starvation, dehydration, and the possibility of being food for a frightening beast, keeps the two boys sharp and on their toes. With each new challenge, the boys are overcome with a new sense of pride and satisfaction. As they defeat each challenge, they are rewarded with supplies to keep them rejuvenated and alive.

I love the message the author is trying to send to his readers. Each time the boys came face-to-face with a new danger, they worked together to overcome the obstacles. When they tried anything alone, they quickly realized it was only possible if they worked as a team. I love that Caleb J. Boyer integrated that into the story line. A great way to teach and inspire, not just young people, but everyone who reads this book. Not only does he make a point to insert the context into his story, but he also has a message to his readers. He talks about overcoming obstacles in our everyday lives. How we can become stronger individually and as a team. How we do not know what is going to happen in our own lives. His message is strong and inspirational to all.

I did find several grammar errors, a few spelling issues, and wordy sentences, leading me to believe it has not been professionally edited. Apart from the errors in the book, I enjoyed it. I am pleasantly surprised to learn the author is a 12-year-old boy who is a #1 best-selling international author. I would recommend Island Games; Mystery of the Four Quadrants to anyone old enough to read a good book. It's especially inspirational to young readers who face challenges daily.

With the number of errors found, unfortunately, I have to rate this work of art 3 out of 4. With a profession edit, I would happily give it a four. It is well worth the read, enjoyable and inspirational.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jlprince26's review? Post a comment saying so!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”