Review by Wokeread -- Skills of the Warramunga

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Wokeread
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 38
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Wokeread -- Skills of the Warramunga

Post by Wokeread » 27 May 2019, 11:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skills of the Warramunga is the third book in a trilogy featuring Jamie Munro and Jack ‘Jacko’ O’Brien, two Australians working for the Commonwealth Investigation Service (CIS) in Darwin. They are close friends who met during the Second World War when they were stationed abroad. When their former wartime colleague, Colonel Jonny Cook, MI6 Head of Operations for the Eastern Hemisphere, is kidnapped in the Malayan Peninsula, they are called to help track him down.

Johnny Cook had travelled from London to assist local security forces with preparations for ceremonies scheduled for 1st of April 1946 to mark creation of the Malayan Union. Jacko, who is half Warramunga, and his half-sister, Sarah, are called upon to use their exceptional tracking skills in the search and rescue mission. As it turns out, this is more than just a kidnapping. Jamie and Jacko must figure out what the criminals are up to. Together with their hosts they work to uncover a conspiracy with far reaching implications and dangerous consequences.

Greg Kater takes us on an adventure into the Malayan jungle filled with danger, discomfort, excitement, suspense, crime and intrigue. I loved the detail with which action was delivered amidst the vast treacherous landscape. The reader can almost feel the challenges Jacko and team go through on their treks. We are carried along by them, taking every step they take, partaking of their hardships, appreciating efforts and determination required to make headway - which are brought alive without exaggeration or understatement.

I found the book exciting, enjoyable and full of suspense. It was well written, flowed well and kept my interest to the very end. We get to not only appreciate the historical background against which events take place but are also made to understand significance of events taking place and interests of different parties. One easily falls in love with the characters, not just Jamie and Jacko, but Sarah and the rest of the crew. Although part of a trilogy, a reading of the other books is not necessary to follow and enjoy this story, though you will want to read them after this. I started with book two and I sure want to read the first one, to see their war time adventures and how their friendship developed, as they work so well together.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 and recommend it to anyone who loves historical crime, adventure and espionage with some romance on the sidelines. There are some interesting tips on how to survive out in the wild that will definitely appeal to anyone who loves outdoor adventure.

Skills of the Warramunga
View: on Bookshelves

Like Wokeread's review? Post a comment saying so!

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two by Ann McCauley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 11 Jun 2019, 12:20

This sounds like an exciting read with an intriguing premise. I haven’t read any of the books from this series yet, but I might want to check them out. Great review!

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 11 Jun 2019, 16:06

This is pretty much what I expected from this series and I'm happy that it's met those expectations so far. I'd love to read more about what happens to Johnny and if Jamie and Jacko can save him.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”