Review by Femi05 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Femi05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femi05.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Femi05 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Femi05 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Novels are like mini-vacations and this novel is a prime contender for a good destination. The Land of Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies written by Matthew Tysz is a riveting and exciting modern-day fantasy that portrays the beautiful world around us--the seen and unseen--and reminds us that there's far more to it than meets the eye.

When Galen, a lowly immigrant, sets out for the powerful and prosperous land of Voulhire to take over his late uncle's estate, little did he know that all he knew of the world and people was miles apart from what obtained in his destination. Naive, wide-eyed and ready to learn, Galen is grateful for the opportunity given him and is determined to do all he can to adapt and give back his all to the land that has saved him from the throes of war.

The famous 1800 year old kingdom of Voulhire, ruled by King Wilhelm is on the verge of a new era but its survival is threatened by an ancient rival community, the Riva Rohavi and a former general who has mastered the ways of Caromentis, the magic world and is determined to exert his revenge on the king who betrayed their friendship and imprisoned him. Will Voulhire survive the onslaught aimed at it from outside even with the possibility of ongoing betrayal from one of its own elite? Will the external forces prevail? What will become of Galen and his dreams at this time he has come? These and many more questions will keep you flipping the pages as you seek how the author answers them.

I liked the plot of the story and although it was initially slow paced, things picked up in the second part of the novel and ended on a high. The character maps are progressively being developed. Although it may seem to have many loose ends, that is only to be expected since it has sequels.

Despite finding a few errors, the book was generally well edited, and good use of English language was employed. I'll recommend this book for all lovers of fantasy with interests in religion, politics and the interplay of same for the advancement of society.

I'll be rating the book 3 stars out of 4 stars. I will be taking away one star because there were times the imagery was excessive and ended up as confusing instead of intriguing. Regardless, this book ended on a high and i can't wait to read the next piece in the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Femi05's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”