Review by Artizi -- The Lost Identity Casualties

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Artizi
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Artizi -- The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by Artizi » 25 May 2019, 20:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Identity Casualties's worse flaw from the get-go is its protagonist. Matthias Callaghan III is smarter than everyone else, wittier than everyone else, always a step ahead, always ready, always fully aware of how his enemies will react. He doesn't begin this way since he can't quite remember who he is or what happened to him, but once his memories are restored, no one can beat him.

The book's first pages are interesting enough, with a mystery being laid out from the very start: What happened to the wounded man restrained to a hospital bed, and why is he bandaged up? Why won't his nurses and doctors answer his question? Is he being kept in that bedroom against his will? Is the woman who visits him truly his wife, or merely taking advantage of the fact that he has lost his memory?

The mystery begins to unravel slowly yet steadily, and in doing so, every character turns into a fool except for the person we're supposed to root for: Matthias. The doctors forget a fundamental fact anyone would have remembered; the evildoers suddenly can't match Matthias' unparalleled brilliance, and the person who got him in this whole mess is revealed to be a bumbling coward. It's all very convenient, and all the pieces seem to fall into place so that the revenge plot being orchestrated by the hero works to perfection.

That being said, I enjoyed The Lost Identity Casualties far more than I imagined I would. Matthias can be annoying at times, but he is a man who gives up everything he owns and loves to execute his vendetta. Seeing his plan come into play is inexplicably satisfying.

Kim Ekemar, The Lost Identity Casualties's author, jumps from the first-person point of view to the more usual third-person description of events with relative ease, which I found refreshing. The characters can be a bit shallow, and their motivations explained too plainly for even the most dim-witted reader to comprehend, yet I enjoyed discovering their backstories and what makes them tick.

Overall, I liked this book, even if I was annoyed by the author's habit of having his villains make dubious mistakes so that Matthias may benefit from these blunders. For these reasons and the frequent -if usually small- grammar mistakes, I rate The Lost Identity Casualties 2 out of 4 stars. It is a recommendable book for those fascinated by revenge, mystery, and gory details but not the general public. Probably not a good fit for younger audiences.

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Artizi's review? Post a comment saying so!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi » 19 Jun 2019, 10:26

Hi everyone! I'd really appreciate feedback on my review!

Thanks in advance.

Kaylee123
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: B-Side
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee123.html
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Post by Kaylee123 » 19 Jun 2019, 10:55

I just finished reading The Lost Identity Casualties, and I'm really struggling to decide whether or not I liked it. Your description of Matthias is great, and I agree that the characters were quite shallow. I like your writing style and enjoyed reading your review!
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi » 19 Jun 2019, 19:29

Kaylee123 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 10:55
I just finished reading The Lost Identity Casualties, and I'm really struggling to decide whether or not I liked it. Your description of Matthias is great, and I agree that the characters were quite shallow. I like your writing style and enjoyed reading your review!
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. And yes, the characters can be quite shallow indeed. It's not a bad book per se, but I'm not certain how I feel about it either.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 20 Jun 2019, 15:00

That is an interesting description of the main character. The strong beginning sparks your interest in the story - and then you have to decide how you feel about Matthias. You did a good job of presenting the strengths and weaknesses of the book. Great job!

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry by Rosalyn Rita Nicholas

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 21 Jun 2019, 06:11

Artizi, your review was entertaining to read. The seeming perfection of the main character in this one does sound a bit convenient. I would be annoyed by that as well. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Currently Reading: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 21 Jun 2019, 06:27

I had similar thoughts when I read this book, but your review voiced them better than I did. I agree that the coincidences were a bit too contrived. I am glad that you commented on the grammar because often I am the only one who mentions them.

Soonerchick656
Currently Reading: Keep You Safe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerchick656.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by Soonerchick656 » 22 Jun 2019, 21:41

This almost sounds like The Bourne Identity movies. I think you did an excellent job of reviewing the book and portraying what the reader would encounter. This does not sound like a book I would like reading and I appreciate the honesty so that I'm aware of that. I had seen this book and had almost chosen to read it but I'm glad I didn't now.

And thank you for your recent comment on my review!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 22 Jun 2019, 21:48

Well, it seems like the writer is only intended to make the situation easy for the main character. I liked your review!
😊

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html

Post by AntonelaMaria » 28 Jun 2019, 16:45

I don't think no one likes condescending the protagonist and it feels like this is just like that. I don't know will I read this book but good job on a great review.

beccabecky
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky » 30 Jun 2019, 16:28

I think I'm going to pass on this book! Congrats on the great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”