Review by Dragonsend -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Dragonsend
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 416
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by Dragonsend -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Dragonsend » 23 May 2019, 20:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shay Carter the author of Randy Love...are your service, was not wrong when he says that the antics pulled by some people are more a detriment to themselves than thought at first glance. Though Randy Love does have a certain boyish charm, often-times he comes off as caustic and very frivolous.

This accounting of an English man who comes from an overachieving, yet somehow grounded family is filled with stunts, pulled by a young man with out a care in the world. Though his older siblings have successfully made their way in the world, Randy, being the youngest, seems to have developed somewhat of a mean-spirited side. He constantly thinks of himself first, leading to what by normal means are disasterous results. Somehow, Randy Love finds that the fault lies with everyone else and consistently convinces himself that none of this could possibly be his fault.

I personally rooted for Randy throughout, maturity right around the corner? I'll leave that up to the reader to decide, though it is what kept me reading this book. I could not wait to see how he was going to handle the things in his life: work, women, friends, drinking, and his family. Does he ever start acting responsibly?

I personally enjoyed the by-play of the Dad, John Love, and his interaction with the other family members. Another very bright spot are the dialogues that were written between Michael, a friend of Randy's Dad, and Randy. Both of these men were very well written and humorous. It would have been an overall improvement to have had more interaction between them.

There are some dark undertones to this story, and there are explicit sexual scenes so I don't recommend this to all readers. Definitely 17 and above. I also would suggest this to anyone who enjoys comedic antics, (sometimes almost slapstick), by someone who is lacking in some departments. How will Randy ever survive himself?

I give the book three out of four stars. This book needed a little more meat on the bone to make it a four star read. I feel that some of the sexual scenes,(I had some red-faced moments), could have been toned down, leaving some things implied rather than explicitly stated. However, the author has a very distinctive writing style and this made the book highly enjoyable. As a final note here, I found no typos nor misspelled words and there is a glossary of English slang words that are used throughout the book. This was a thoughtful touch by the author, otherwise I would not have known what a few of the references were.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dragonsend's review? Post a comment saying so!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Kathleen Wolfe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Kathleen Wolfe » 18 Jun 2019, 08:23

The book sounds interesting but i would have to cover my eyes at the "sexual scenes" :lol: . Great review.

Dragonsend
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 416
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dragonsend » 18 Jun 2019, 16:33

Kathleen Wolfe wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 08:23
The book sounds interesting but i would have to cover my eyes at the "sexual scenes" :lol: . Great review.
It definitely had some moments where you wonder what could Randy have been thinking. Thank you!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”