Review by anneverona -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anneverona
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneverona.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by anneverona -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by anneverona »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just when I was on the edge of my seat,eager to know what happened to the characters of the first book in Matthew Tysz triology,the book comes to an end.The beginning of this book is slow paced,but stick around because it gets so much better.We are Voulhire : A new arrival under great skies is a great book filled with mysterious characters,a plethora of locations and thought provoking themes.Each chapter is from a different character's point of view.

Galen is a young man desperate to leave his war torn city for a better life.He embarks on a journey at the behest of a long lost uncle,with no clue as to what awaits him at his destination.King Wilhelm is a troubled king with a secret that threatens the stability of his kingdom and the trust his citizens have in him.Lord Eldus Alderman is an ambitious judge,a father to two very different children and husband to a judge.He is given a rewading task but sees the dark shadows cast by his predecessors at every turn. A visitor from Caromentis the magic world.A mysterious criminal with a penchant for making a fool of others in comedic ways,and a dancing army.What becomes of them all? In what ways are they connected?

We are Voulhire : A new arrival under great skies is an introduction to wonderful characters with so much potential and I honestly can't wait to read the next book.This book has a mix of old and modern themes and it's unlike anything I have ever read.In this world they use modern curse words,play football and ice hockey but do not have cars,and still use oil lanterns! It's a book with different layers.At the end of this book we still don't know the connections between all characters,there is an unknown spy sending information to the enemy,and there is no protagonist.

Book two will be the book of revelations but the journey in this book is equally exciting. Dancing is a repeated theme in this world. I imagine that the author Matthew Tysz is a passionate dancer.We are Voulhire: A new arrival under great skies balances magic with real world issues masterfully.If you are looking for a grounded fantasy book without overwhelming and flashy magical feats,this book is for you.You will find yourself analyzing this book to figure out who the 'good guys' are.It is never stated explicitly and it's left to you,the reader to decide. This book is not violent and has no sexual themes. It is suitable for young readers and adults alike.

I loved the way the author Matthew Tysz realistically potrayed trauma and the rich imagery in this book.I rate this book three out of four stars. I want to know the lore behind magic in this world.Why does a brother have magical powers and his sister and parents do not? That was all that We are Voulhire: A arrival under great skies lacked.The editing of this book was done well.I found almost no errors.This book is perfect for people who love The Song of ice and fire books by George R.R Martin but wish it had fewer characters. I enthusiastically reccomend this book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneverona's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”