Review by Sarah Tariq -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Sarah Tariq » 22 May 2019, 02:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The spiritual quest is found in every human being. Some people suppress this inner spiritual voice and others pay much heed to this inner call. This book is the one man’s journey from the delusional path to the spiritual path. The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is a memoir that describes the lifelong transformational journey of the author. His spiritual awakening process began at a very young age (eight-year-old) when he started attending Biblical class at Mrs. Pacetti’s home. It reached its climax when he saw Jesus in his dream commanding him to find his bones as they are the core of his teachings. This message clarified his path.

The book comprises 24 chapters under four parts. The first part describes the author’s road to meditative journey in which he traveled to the Amazon and stayed there for a while. Then he moved to Japan where he learned and taught martial arts. It was the place where he connected his spiritual quest to the wisdom that led him to start a transformed enlightened life. In this book, he discussed his most enlightening technique which he called “Isness Inspirience” (a deeply profound counter with the divine that radically changed his life). Furthermore, he differentiates between the consciousness and mind and maintains that how to get tuned to mind is a source of suffering. Moreover, he introduces readers with some useful exercises for the healing of mind and body. The fourth part emphasizes the connection between soul and spirit. It focuses on the hidden energies and the blocks that impede man’s way to the process of awakening and achieving unconditional love. He puts the reader on the psychedelic path and highlights the role of Shamanic Plants for spiritual awakening.

This book is not only a memoir; but also a spiritual guide that awakens the inner conscious of its readers through different healing practices of physical and spiritual well-being. I liked the author’s style that was convincing and simple. Richard L. Haight along with his teacher Sensei transformed the martial art practice into a new form in which he infused wisdom with spirituality. He beautifully captured the mental state of a person who is perplexed, not knowing which path to choose (the right one) among many wrong paths. The most adorable part was the author’s dream in which Jesus commanded him to explore the essence of his teachings that have been marred by alterations and have lost the real message of Jesus revealed by God. But later on, (unfortunately) he couldn’t retain to his earlier dream. Instead, he shifted to other meditation practices that may take its followers to a certain level of spiritual enrichment but is unable to show a permanent solution of their inner enigma as it can only be achieved by truly following divine religions.

Spirituality can be defined in different terms according to one’s background. However, Haight’s perception about spirituality is true in a way which he calls “Isness Inpirience” because everyone in life encounters such miraculous happenings that leave you to ponder over your existence, purpose, and limitations. However, despite his life-long quest for truth and self-actualization, I couldn’t find him more than a meditative person who spent many years of his life to purify his soul through physical training in form of martial arts or seeking spiritual enrichment in form of Buddha’s teachings or following some mixture of religious philosophies.

He adored his book with different mystical and philosophical anecdotes of Tou Te Ching. In addition, some of the techniques shared by the author were quite interesting such as the Warrior’s Meditation and the Dance of the Self (This just reminded me of the dance of Rumi’s followers). Hence, people interested in meditative techniques for the peace of mind should consult this book. Some of the concepts about reincarnation and other set believe were quite dissatisfying for me, and these may be disliked by readers. Though this book has many beneficial techniques and the message given by the author is appealing in some respect; however, the author couldn’t develop the real harmony, and some of his life events look superficial. In fact, this book didn’t appeal to me much. On the editing side, this book seems to be professionally edited as I could not find any significant error except a few punctuation mistakes. Nevertheless, owing to my earlier reservations, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to the readers who seek spiritual awakening through meditation and alternative healing practices

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 172
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Ramona's Man by D. L. Yoder

Post by Bluebird03 » 31 May 2019, 15:22

I read this book also, and was intrigued by the author's Warrior Meditation and the Dance of the Self- that you noted. They are so different from the usual seated meditations that we are more familiar with. Thank you for your review!

beccabecky
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky » 31 May 2019, 16:37

This sounds like the kind of book I'd be interested in. It's a shame his life recounts sound superficial!

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq » 01 Jun 2019, 01:04

Bluebird03 wrote:
31 May 2019, 15:22
I read this book also, and was intrigued by the author's Warrior Meditation and the Dance of the Self- that you noted. They are so different from the usual seated meditations that we are more familiar with. Thank you for your review!
Exactly, his meditation techniques are very interesting. Thanks for leaving a comment! :)

📕📖📰📓📕

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 01 Jun 2019, 10:50

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this book through your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq » 03 Jun 2019, 00:04

beccabecky wrote:
31 May 2019, 16:37
This sounds like the kind of book I'd be interested in. It's a shame his life recounts sound superficial!
Yeah, you should try this one. It has both positive and negative aspects. Thanks for your feedback! :)

📕📖📰📓📕

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two by Ann McCauley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 04 Jun 2019, 21:37

Thanks for your honest review. It sounds like there were some parts that didn’t ring true with his writing and his experience.

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 93
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Nerea » 05 Jun 2019, 00:51

Incredible review. The memoir sounds inspiring especially to those seeking spiritual guidance. But the part where Jesus commands the author to find his bones in a dream sounds delusional to me. You did great in your review by pointing out the key aspects of the book. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Currently Reading: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 05 Jun 2019, 12:08

When I read this book, I enjoyed the memoir parts that you mentioned much more than the spiritual guide parts. It seems like it could have been done more effectively as two books.

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 252
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by briellejee » 06 Jun 2019, 09:29

Read this book too, and yes I do agree about you that the author's work just strikes me as a memoir and a guide of someone who dedicated his life in meditating. Thanks for this thorough review though :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq » 07 Jun 2019, 01:38

unamilagra wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 21:37
Thanks for your honest review. It sounds like there were some parts that didn’t ring true with his writing and his experience.
Sure, there were some glitches. Thanks for leaving a comment!

📕📖📰📓📕

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 07 Jun 2019, 23:46

This is a book for those who seek their inner spirituality. These types of books always get mixed audiences. While some readers enjoy them to the utmost, some dislike them with the same passion. Since I'm not fond of religious and spiritual books, I won't be reading it. But thanks a lot for your unbiased review. Until I reached the end, I didn't know that you didn't found this book to your liking. So, great job! :tiphat:

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 113
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 452
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Shrabastee » 08 Jun 2019, 03:19

Thanks for the honest review! I haven't read this one,but I have read the previous book. I agree that it might prove superficial,and may end up being not very significant as well.

Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Detective Ann Morgan and The Boxer College Murder: second edition by john tomikel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari » 08 Jun 2019, 06:04

Great review. I agree that some of the author's assertions may sound a little eccentric, but overall it seems that he has managed to get his thoughts across and some may relate to it. It can also be a great resource for people interested in spiritual practices. Also, I really liked the parts detailing on healthy living through proper diet and exercise. The only thing that can be unacceptable for some is the author's self-centered focus on the truth of his beliefs. I like how you have detailed on different facets of the book. Thanks for the comprehensive review. I enjoyed reading it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq » 11 Jun 2019, 12:10

diana lowery wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 12:08
When I read this book, I enjoyed the memoir parts that you mentioned much more than the spiritual guide parts. It seems like it could have been done more effectively as two books.
Well said, his memoir part is much more interesting. But some factors made me rate this book low. Thanks for commenting!

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”