Review by sanjus -- The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

Post by sanjus » 21 May 2019, 03:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Island" by Amit Offir.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir is a travel guide, which is written from an inspiration by his frequent travel to exotic tourist places around the world. This book mainly focuses on his trip to Malta, a beautiful island in the Mediterranean Sea, which is well known for its 7000 years of history, beautiful landscapes, and the hypnotizing turquoise color water of the sea. This book is written as a diary of his daily activities during his seven days stay in Malta. In the foreword, Amit narrates about his earlier trips to vast landscapes of Siberia and his desire to travel a small country, where he can visit more places nearby by less traveling. Moreover, he gives some details on the travel preparation and also tells about his experience of learning to start a fire in the wild, as well as learning to climb a coconut tree. He stresses enough about the value of learning these two life-saving skills, which though appears to be simple, but needs an ample practice to acquire them.

In this book of 907 locations when opened with Kindle, the chapters are named as the sequence from the day one to day seven. Amit explains how he arrived in Malta, about the stay, and the inexpensive yet fulfilling food that he got. He tells that the Republic of Malta is made up of several small islands, and only three of these islands are populated. The exotic places for a beach vacation, diving, and extreme adventures are spread across the small villages surrounding Malta. The details about the capital of Malta, and the history of Malta from the period of knights are elaborated in an interesting way.

I recommend this book only to teenagers and the above-aged people who are interested in going to vacation and also to those who are interested in history, especially about Europe, and the two world wars which affected Malta. I like the way the author connected the important places of visit around Malta with its history, therefore, kindled a desire to travel in me. This book could be appealing even to young adults who want to go for an adventure tour as it gives some tips on survival in the wild.

I do not recommend this book to the people who don’t wish to go out of their town and also to those who are not interested in history because, apart from Amit’s experiences during traveling and depicting European history, there is nothing else in this book. Since this is a travel book, and at several occasions, Amit mentions about inexpensive food and cheap fares, but if he had quoted the actual price in Euros at that time, it could have been helpful to decide on the budget for a tour.

The thing I liked the most is the allure that the author has for traveling, learning new skills, and goal of living the life to the fullest. At the beginning of each day’s activity, there is a quote by Napoleon that is quite inspirational. Amit’s vast traveling experience,his good habit of seeking new taste, and new ways of enjoyment at different places, thereby deriving pleasure from each and every bit of those attractions is worth noting. I was really fascinated with the eye-catching photographs of the places he visited and the descriptions given in the book.

The thing I disliked the most is the numerous grammatical errors were found in this book and some typological errors. One of the errors I found in the sentence “During his trips he explores the place.....“, which should have been “During his trips, he explores the place .....“ to be grammatically correct. Another error found in the sentence “.....I decided to look for sunnier and warmer location .....”, which should have been “.....I decided to look for a sunnier and warmer location.....” to be grammatically correct. Initially, I decided to give all the four stars for its impressive content, but after looking at the editing errors, I could give only 3 out of 4 stars.

The Ultimate Island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sanjus's review? Post a comment saying so!
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 135
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by juliusotieno02 » 14 Jun 2019, 03:41

Wow, your review was so good. I like adventure. This looks like a really good travel guide. Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to reading it
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Chemist: A Psychological Thriller by Stephanie Colbert

Post by Prisallen » 14 Jun 2019, 14:18

I would love to go to Malta and I will have to add this book to my to-read list. I like the fact that it adds history to the book, not just telling you where to go and what to do. It is too bad about the errors, but it sounds like something that could be fixed easily. Thank you for a wonderful review!

Agnes098
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes098.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Agnes098 » 14 Jun 2019, 14:27

I am already intrigued by the travelling to exotic tourist places. Travelling is always accompanied by learning a new thing. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Depth of Grace
Bookshelf Size: 752
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by GJ Neumann

Post by Kibetious » 15 Jun 2019, 11:19

This book sounds interesting. I have read about Malta from the travels of Paul but never heard much of it outside this. Thanks for the review. I would have loved to read this book but the grammatical errors will be a hindrance.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

sanjus

Post by sanjus » 16 Jun 2019, 15:04

juliusotieno02 wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 03:41
Wow, your review was so good. I like adventure. This looks like a really good travel guide. Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to reading it
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

sanjus

Post by sanjus » 16 Jun 2019, 15:07

Kibetious wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 11:19
This book sounds interesting. I have read about Malta from the travels of Paul but never heard much of it outside this. Thanks for the review. I would have loved to read this book but the grammatical errors will be a hindrance.
Thanks for your time and leaving valuable comment.

sanjus

Post by sanjus » 16 Jun 2019, 15:07

Kibetious wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 11:19
Thanks for your time and leaving valuable comment.

sanjus

Post by sanjus » 16 Jun 2019, 15:15

Prisallen wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 14:18
I would love to go to Malta and I will have to add this book to my to-read list. I like the fact that it adds history to the book, not just telling you where to go and what to do. It is too bad about the errors, but it sounds like something that could be fixed easily. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Yes after reading the book i thought if i had a chance to visit Malta. Thanks for your comment.

sanjus

Post by sanjus » 16 Jun 2019, 15:27

Agnes098 wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 14:27
I am already intrigued by the travelling to exotic tourist places. Travelling is always accompanied by learning a new thing. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Thanks for your comment.

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: All Together Dead
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by danielleamy » 26 Jun 2019, 03:34

I would love to go to Malta, so this sounds like a great guide. A shame about the writing errors though! It's frustrating when you would love to give full stars for a book. Thanks for the review Sanjus :)
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

sanjus

Post by sanjus » 01 Jul 2019, 01:48

danielleamy wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 03:34
I would love to go to Malta, so this sounds like a great guide. A shame about the writing errors though! It's frustrating when you would love to give full stars for a book. Thanks for the review Sanjus :)
Thanks for stopping by and valuable comment. The author may have fixed those errors by now.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”