Review by Helene_2008 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Review by Helene_2008 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Helene_2008 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While Matthew Tysz analogized this book to Game of Thrones, I could not relate as I haven't seen the popular show (yes we do exist). I can however, draw a parallel between this book and Lord of the Rings. Picture medieval times, some among you who are able to do magic, war ravaged towns, and an alliance between three young men (so it was four in Lord the of Rings, close enough). The author does a beautiful job spinning a tale with the main themes of who can you trust and always have hope, even in the unlikeliest of characters.
While the book is written from the perspective of multiple characters, two characters and their stories are most prominent. Galen is a young man from the Land of Princes. His estranged great uncle sends him papers to have him come to Voulhire to take over his blacksmith business. He is an unlikely heir, as Galen has no experience as a blacksmith, but maybe a magical manual and executor of his great uncle's will, Rowan,can help.
The second main character is Lord Eldus, newly appointed Lord of Hillport. He has made it his personal mission to rebuild and revitalize the city after the rein of two unsavory characters. One is dead, and unlikely to return and haunt the town, while the other's whereabouts are less certain.
I give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies a rating of 4 out of 4. This book was out of my comfort zone and I took a chance on it as I was intrigued by the author's biography. I have a mutual appreciation for Manhattan and felt the author's previous occupations could make for interesting story writing. I felt the book was well edited and well written for a premiere novel. I really enjoyed the characters Beth and Beverly. I think they are unique and I am interested to see what their future holds in the series.
While I rate the book highly, I was frustrated with the lack of background on one of the main characters, Galen. While a great uncle and grandmother is briefly mentioned, there is nothing about a mother or father. I feel a little more development of the characters would help to engage more readers.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy and action/adventure books. The book did not contain much illicit material, so it is appropriate for anyone teenage years and up. Fans of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and similar novels will enjoy this book. A core message throughout all of these is despite the death and destruction we face in our world, there is always hope.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helene_2008's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Love the underlying message hope in the book. Thanks for the review. I think the book will appeal to the readers you've quoted above and I fall in the category of those who enjoy action/adventure books.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The book cover doesn't really say "epic fantasy," so I'm really glad for the information. Thanks for this review.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I've read this series and i agree with you that the Galen story is captivating. You also mentioned about the story being written in characters' perspective, i think thats the strength of this series. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Sounds like this book was a good start to the series. Thanks for an interesting review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like this is an exciting, well-written novel. It's interesting that only one of the main characters is not well developed. I really enjoyed reading your review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

"Hope springs eternal." I have great admiration for this prolific young author, and I hope to read one of his books soon. This series seems to be a good start.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Helene_2008 wrote: 18 May 2019, 18:41 well written for a premiere novel
Indeed. It is a fantastic book.
Great review!
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

Exploring the voulhire kingdom is very adventurous. Great review.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

The book was for sure an amazing read. There's certainly so much to like about it. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”