Review by VernaVi -- MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
VernaVi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vernavi.html
Latest Review: The Wild Mountian Thyme by Kathryn Scarborough

Review by VernaVi -- MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by VernaVi » 16 May 2019, 01:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "MY FRIEND Marilyn" by Christopher Lentz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz is an entertaining story of friendship. Based on real-life characters that include Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis, this story tells how a young woman in a small town became acquainted with a Hollywood star during the filming of a movie. It deals with the ups and downs of small-town and Hollywood lifestyle while keeping the reader engaged with genuinely memorable characters.

The plot begins with the history of hauntings at the Hotel del Coronado in California. The mysterious woman in black turns up throughout the story keeping things interesting. The dedication to the author’s mother was very touching. It is also significant that he dedicates the book to women everywhere, going into detail about the work they do, as well as the hardships they endure. I liked this author’s style even before I began reading this story.

Christopher Lentz emphasizes love in his writing. Like so many others, I did like the movie Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon made together called Some Like It Hot. Knowing this book was woven around that location brought the backdrop of this book to life for me. The fade-ins and fade-outs at the beginning and end of each chapter add to the movie-like feel of this book. The twists and turns in the plot make a romantic story even more inviting.

I liked the character development the most in this book. Characters like that of Great Auntie Edna are a treasure, but I felt like she deserved more than just one scene in the book. The role of the gypsy Esmeralda was fun for the reader. Some of the times spent between Penny and Marilyn seemed a lot like juvenile pranks rather than adult women with professional roles in a new friendship, but they still made for an enjoyable read. Penny’s long association with Tilly Carlisle is an excellent addition to the book. It outlines both sides of Hollywood, the old age of films and the new.

I couldn’t find anything to dislike about this story. It is a little bit of reality mixed with fantasy. Add to that the glitz and glamour of a bygone era, and you have this book. An essential addition to any bookshelf, I believe it will have a particular appeal to readers who love movies set in Hollywood style in 1958. If you like darker stories associated with the life of Marilyn Monroe, this book will be a disappointment. It does have a surprise ending that should please even the most demanding of readers. I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. Although I did find a few errors, it seems to be professionally edited and well written. I would give it more if it were possible. It’s highly entertaining!

MY FRIEND Marilyn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like VernaVi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 29 May 2019, 13:35

This doesn't really sound like my type of book but I'm sure that those who like the genre would enjoy it. Thanks for the detailed review!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

beccabecky
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky » 29 May 2019, 22:31

This sounds like a fantastic book! I think I'd definitely give it a try! Thanks for the great review

VernaVi
Currently Reading:

Post by VernaVi » 01 Jun 2019, 16:28

Kelyn wrote: ↑
29 May 2019, 13:35
This doesn't really sound like my type of book but I'm sure that those who like the genre would enjoy it. Thanks for the detailed review!
You're most welcome, and thank you for the comment!

VernaVi
Currently Reading:

Post by VernaVi » 01 Jun 2019, 16:29

beccabecky wrote: ↑
29 May 2019, 22:31
This sounds like a fantastic book! I think I'd definitely give it a try! Thanks for the great review
It was entertaining, thanks for stopping by and commenting!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 15 Jun 2019, 18:02

I like how you included Marilyn's fun side and your description of the secondary characters. It's also helpful that you reference the way the book is formatted. This is an informative review. Great job!

imSunshine
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine » 16 Jun 2019, 06:28

I like to read this because friendship is relatable to everybody. I could maybe learn something from this.

VernaVi
Currently Reading:

Post by VernaVi » 16 Jun 2019, 15:35

kdstrack wrote: ↑
15 Jun 2019, 18:02
I like how you included Marilyn's fun side and your description of the secondary characters. It's also helpful that you reference the way the book is formatted. This is an informative review. Great job!
Glad you liked it! Thank you so much for your comment!

VernaVi
Currently Reading:

Post by VernaVi » 16 Jun 2019, 15:36

imSunshine wrote: ↑
16 Jun 2019, 06:28
I like to read this because friendship is relatable to everybody. I could maybe learn something from this.
You're right, friendship is relatable to everyone. Good observation! Thank you for your comment!

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Stand Against Injustice
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Light In The Woods by Cherie Miller
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 17 Jun 2019, 12:02

I couldn’t find anything to dislike about this story. It is a little bit of reality mixed with fantasy. Add to that the glitz and glamour of a bygone era, and you have this book. An essential addition to any bookshelf, I believe it will have a particular appeal to readers who love movies set in Hollywood style in 1958.
This is a fantastic description and recommendation of this book. You've done a very nice review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

VernaVi
Currently Reading:

Post by VernaVi » 18 Jun 2019, 00:59

sarahmarlowe wrote: ↑
17 Jun 2019, 12:02
I couldn’t find anything to dislike about this story. It is a little bit of reality mixed with fantasy. Add to that the glitz and glamour of a bygone era, and you have this book. An essential addition to any bookshelf, I believe it will have a particular appeal to readers who love movies set in Hollywood style in 1958.
This is a fantastic description and recommendation of this book. You've done a very nice review!
Thank you so much! I sincerely appreciate your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”