Review by DogoMulla -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by DogoMulla -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla » 14 May 2019, 20:25

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox is a historical fiction book by one M. N. J. Butler. It consists of 4 books and 27 chapters. It is relatively long. When I decided to review it, I thought it was set recently, at least in the 20th century, but it is actually about a couple of centuries ago.

Leotychides is royal blood. He is also referred to as Cockerel or General Pentatarchos by his fellow Spartans in the Spartiate regiment. As you might have guessed, there’re a lot of battles, treaties and alliances involved. Even so, The Fox is different. Leo’, though his father - King Agis - passes away, doesn’t have it easy like ordinary monarchies. He is disciplined and obedient, and certainly loyal, but that is just not enough. To add salt to injury, he is a bastard. Regardless, he starts training at a tender age. How will he maneuver?

The book is slow-paced. The plot is a bit complicated. I feel there’s a lot of information that may not be relevant to most readers. Information about Sparta, Athens, Thebes, battle jargon and others. Considering it’s a relatively big book, a reader is likely to lose interest midway. I would recommend maps to facilitate better understanding of the places and battles. There are too many characters too. So many characters pop up and don’t develop. Some don’t even stick around for 2 pages. Teres, for example, appears in the middle of the final chapter and doesn’t even make it to its end. I also wouldn’t relate to most conversations.

Still, I enjoyed conversations between Leotychides and Doreius. The former looked up to the latter – his chief ephor. The conversations were real and depicted this relationship. The language used was also realistic based on the setting. The story seemed real as per those times. I also enjoyed the poem of Alkman’s. My favourite quote was: “There is only one certainty, and that is there is none.”

I took away one star as The Fox was dull. I found myself rereading a couple of times. The women characters are weakened. Perhaps it has something to do with those times, but still it’s a minus for me. Apparently, almost all Sparta women then were ‘unlettered’. I took away another one because of the errors. I found more than twenty. These are mostly punctuation errors. Some were unnecessary capitalization. An example is a line on page 195 – “I have only two sons, - in regards to punctuation. The book is not professionally edited. Therefore, my final verdict is 2 out of 4 stars.

The only reason I didn’t deduct another star is because there is a story there. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys history – especially Greek history. The story is almost true to life. The book would probably not appeal to most youngsters. Also, those who don’t prefer relatively long books might want to skip this one.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DogoMulla's review? Post a comment saying so!

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Fueling Change: The Once and Future Kansas City by Twyla Dell
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 16 Jun 2019, 11:41

I don't think I could have made it all the way thought this book. Too much dry history and background that I don't have regarding that time period.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by LinaMueller » Yesterday, 07:27

The Fox seems to be very nice. It would be historically inaccurate to portray Spartan women entirely as strong feminist characters. Thanks for your review, anyway. I appreciated it, DogoMulla.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » Yesterday, 07:34

I've read a few reviews on this. It seems that being a history fan makes it easier to read the book. I think I will steer clear of it though. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”