Review by Ayanfe4luv -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayanfe4luv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayanfe4luv.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Ayanfe4luv -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Ayanfe4luv »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

During one of Meldorath's meditations, his mind was invaded by an incomprehensible authority called Emperor of Lullabies who communicated through ideas and visual representations. Meldorath the Eiodi was on a mission to become greater than the mage he is. Dimensions of time, space and cosmos are for manipulations and mastering. To Save or not to save the humans who had suffered defeat and are now refugee was the propaganda used to bait Meldorath and King Wilhelm against Voulhire and its people. Galen of Virko the martial fighter, Rowan Van Asher an archer of Soulhire and Demetrius a monk who worked together in a forge set out to let out a secret to the King on how the new Eiodi wants to restructure the Church of destiny. Then trouble struck the city capital while having a court proceedings Miss Shore vs Soulhire. Who masterminded this attack? What became the fate of the Van Ashers'? Was Alcovia a safe haven when Magnum Caelum fell?

The mixture of the sceneries of the calm settlements, seemingly varying civilizations contrasting economic prosperity at the Capitol and the book's violence was not easy to take in. I, however, enjoyed the fast pace and the suspense as well as the strong characters. I read it in three days, which is in itself a recommendation for the story.

At first, I couldn't keep up with the unfolding of who and what the first character is, and all about. However, as I continued I was concerned, as the first character unveiled as a force to be reckoned with. The culture painted in my opinion were system cast superiority and dominion which is rather interesting. The ending of the story feels like the book was ripped into two halves.

This story contains approximately thirteen use of the word F— and eight s—. The book includes many war scenes and a horrible decapitation scene. I also took note of a character described as the "vegabonds" — the homeless in the elite community, in the writer's words "..You'll find them opening doors for you, wishing you a good day, only to then ask you for a coin..." I think the writer's tone was quite demeaning because he deliberately added this scene to paint a low caste not befitting to be found in the prosperous Capitol.

The book was rather written like a classic with carefully selected words to keep the reader in suspense. The story was especially strong in the area of maintaining a happy medium describing the Capitol's vicinities, power play, magic, and violent scenes. I was excited when the swordsmiths went to the Capitol I expected that they met with the King. In my opinion, the analogy of this book compares with the realities of first world nations and others.

“...Everyone is good for something,” said Demetrius. “Unless they choose not to be. What you see in the gutters of the streets is choice...” Rowan and Demetrius's conversation comes alive somehow to say we are someone else's end.

I rate the book We Are Voulhire Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz a 4 out of 4 because it is a scripted classic and I loved to see how Nartik, Rowan, Demetrius, and Galen turned out.

This book, in my opinion, is well suited for tale lovers, non-fiction and fiction lovers. The book is not suited for those that dislike violent and horror scenes. I have come to appreciate the narrative pattern of the author Matthew Tysz.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ayanfe4luv's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”