Review by Letora -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: The Woven Ring
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Review by Letora -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Letora » 13 May 2019, 17:33

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sonya is on the run from the Screamon Demons biker gang. While at first living with them was edgy and full of excitement, they've started murdering innocent people. But the gang won't let her go without a fight. They are willing to kill any and all who help Sonya in her escape. As she continues to evade the gang, she promises God to make amends for her ways the same night she runs into Trey.

Trey has invented a cloaking device that will make him rich. But in the hands of the wrong person, it could kill millions. Plagued by nightmares, Trey decides to destroy it. This causes his life to head in a downward spiral. Losing both his fiancé and his job, Trey ends up at Almighty IT where a misguided coworker unknowingly sets him on the path to the terrorist squad Chrome Falcon. Hunted down by the terrorist squad, they want Trey to implement his cloaking device to upgrade their equipment. Together with Sonya, he will try to escape the terrorists and put an end to their schemes.

Bullets fly and motorcycles rev their engines as the action starts in chapter one with Sonya on the run from the Screamon Demons. But while the first chapter is exciting and hooks the reader into the story, there is a sudden time jump once both main characters are introduced. Without a prologue to explain the time jump it is hard to grasp what is happening when characters are suddenly in different places and times.

That being said, Ben Schneider knows how to write action scenes. Any time there was a chase or some sort of conflict the necessary details were there. The scenes would draw you in and not let go, keeping you on the edge of your seat. The characters would pull off impressive feats that made you eager for more.

However, even with well-written scenes, there was too much filler taking away from the rest of the story. There were sections dedicated to minor characters who only stayed around for a paragraph or two and song lyrics that did not even associate with actions occurring in the book. There was also a span of time where the characters actually did nothing other than vacation while the terrorist group searched for them. If the filler had been cut down and the action sequences lined up, then the book would have been more entertaining.

The character's inner thoughts could have also benefited from a bit of editing. No matter the character, they gave away more information than they needed to. A lot of the inner thoughts could have been cut down and shown through actions to make them more interesting and beneficial to the story.

Despite its shortcomings, the action scenes were well written and the base storyline was enjoyable. There were no grammatical errors that I could find, but there were formatting errors. A few times towards the end of the novel, the font turned into blue underlined text. This was very distracting and it was hard to read. Throughout the whole novel, there would also be gaps on pages where the paragraphs had too many spaces in between them. Unfortunately, due to these errors, I have to give Chrome Mountain 2 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy action-filled science fiction novels. Of course, fans of motorcycles would probably enjoy Sonya's Harley Davidson as well.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Letora's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Jlprince26
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 » 25 May 2019, 07:54

Even with the errors you describe, I believe I would enjoy this very much. I love a good action packed story. Although the blue underlined text does sound distracting, I have to wonder how that happened at all. In any case the story does sound very well thought out, jumpy as it may be. Thank you for your review!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince

Letora

Post by Letora » 26 May 2019, 09:07

Jlprince26 wrote:
25 May 2019, 07:54
Even with the errors you describe, I believe I would enjoy this very much. I love a good action packed story. Although the blue underlined text does sound distracting, I have to wonder how that happened at all. In any case the story does sound very well thought out, jumpy as it may be. Thank you for your review!
Thank you for your comments! I do think it is a great story. It just needs a little more work :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 26 May 2019, 14:51

The storyline is quite interesting. But, the book doesn't appear to be well-planned. I'm not sure whether or not to read this book. All the same, thanks for the great review.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 26 May 2019, 17:16

Interesting review! It sounds like a fast-paced plot, but it is strange that the author used space to describe characters that ended up being insignificant. I think I will skip this one, but thanks for the honest review!

Letora

Post by Letora » 26 May 2019, 20:48

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote:
26 May 2019, 14:51
The storyline is quite interesting. But, the book doesn't appear to be well-planned. I'm not sure whether or not to read this book. All the same, thanks for the great review.
Thank you for stopping by and reading my review!

Letora

Post by Letora » 26 May 2019, 20:49

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
26 May 2019, 17:16
Interesting review! It sounds like a fast-paced plot, but it is strange that the author used space to describe characters that ended up being insignificant. I think I will skip this one, but thanks for the honest review!
Thank you for taking the time to read my review and commenting!

bigscarythingy
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by bigscarythingy » 27 May 2019, 01:20

I agree with you on the inconsistencies in this book. An excellent review.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."

angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by angiejack456 » 27 May 2019, 23:07

I struggled with this book as well. Definitely lots of high paced action, but too many other issues that made it unenjoyable for me. Thanks for your review!

Letora

Post by Letora » 28 May 2019, 16:49

bigscarythingy wrote:
27 May 2019, 01:20
I agree with you on the inconsistencies in this book. An excellent review.
Thank you for stopping by to read my review!

Letora

Post by Letora » 28 May 2019, 16:50

angiejack456 wrote:
27 May 2019, 23:07
I struggled with this book as well. Definitely lots of high paced action, but too many other issues that made it unenjoyable for me. Thanks for your review!
Thank you for stopping by to read my review! I think if the story went through another round of edits it might be better :)

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by briellejee » 01 Jun 2019, 08:33

Having reviewed this too, I agree with you about the fillers. It was tedious, especially with that thing about Trey's sister and brother-in-law. Also, your phrase
Bullets fly and motorcycles rev their engines as the action starts...
made me think that your writing style is interesting. Such a good read too. Thanks for this review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 152
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The time we have by aastha madhur

Post by Bluebird03 » 02 Jun 2019, 08:51

The action scenes do sound very fast paced. It's a pity that all the filler and the formatting errors get in the way of a good read. Thank you for your very honest and informative review!

Letora

Post by Letora » 02 Jun 2019, 09:12

briellejee wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 08:33
Having reviewed this too, I agree with you about the fillers. It was tedious, especially with that thing about Trey's sister and brother-in-law. Also, your phrase
Bullets fly and motorcycles rev their engines as the action starts...
made me think that your writing style is interesting. Such a good read too. Thanks for this review! :tiphat:
Thank you for the complimenting my writing style :) and I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on my review!

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: All Together Dead
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy » 02 Jun 2019, 10:34

Although this sounds action packed in places, perhaps it could do with a little editing to get rid of those filler sections and errors. Great review, I'm still interested despite those downfalls!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”