Review by Bluebird03 -- The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Review by Bluebird03 -- The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ordinary Doll" by Mario Kiefer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ordinary Doll begins with Mateo and his partner, Parker, returning from Mateo’s hometown in Texas. They have traveled there to retrieve memorabilia that was left behind when Mateo’s mother died. Among these keepsakes is an ordinary doll. This childhood toy is missing one eye, wears a tattered dress and has a right leg that was apparently ripped off and reattached. (The significance of this doll will frequently be woven into the story.) Parker asks about Mateo’s aunt, Luciana. Mateo responds “Oh; well, that’s a long story”.

From here, the author transports the reader to an earlier time and begins to narrate the eventful life of his aunt, Luciana. This epic tale includes the day Hector, a friend of Luciana’s father, Jesus, has learned that Jesus and his wife are having an affair. In a fit of rage, Hector sneaks to the home of his “friend” and fires a gun several times. One bullet strikes the innocent daughter, Luciana, in her neck and renders her paralyzed from the waist down. Doctors advise that she will never walk again.

I appreciate how the author allows Mateo to slowly weave the stories and events that follow Luciana as she attempts to regain movement in her legs. Will she ever walk again? What about the young boy that she had a crush on, before her life was changed forever? And what is the significance of just an ordinary doll? I thoroughly enjoyed reading this sentimental story and the part that the doll played in it.

The characters were well developed over time, with each chapter adding more depth and layers to their personalities. Luciana was my favorite. The author makes her a relatable young girl by seasoning the story with thoughts that a girl her age would have. I love that Kiefer thoroughly immerses the reader in the culture of Luciana and her family, including their impoverished diet, beliefs and customs. Of particular interest was the terrifying legend of the “cucuy”. I will allow readers to discover this legend on their own.

As the author introduces words that may be foreign to readers, he either explains them or directs them to a glossary (where each term is satisfactorily defined). The themes of this novel are family, responsibility, poverty and finding strength to overcome life’s obstacles.

The story’s ending was a complete surprise. In fact, I reread parts of the book to be certain that I understood the conclusion. If I had to find something to dislike, it was that the plot appeared to move slowly at times. However, this is one of those stories meant to be read slowly and not devoured in only a few sittings. Therefore, I will not detract for the rate at which this story unfolded.

I am awarding The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer 4 out of 4 stars. In addition to the reasons listed above, the book also appears to have been well edited. This novel will appeal to readers interested in learning more about the culture of the Hispanic migrant workers in Texas. There is some strong language at times, but it is certainly not a continuous insult. Also, there are several references to sexual liaisons; however, none of these contain explicit detail. I highly recommend this captivating read!

The Ordinary Doll
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

This looks like a really emotional story, Luciana getting paralised because of her father's fault (i hope he actually had an afair with his friend's wife) is unheard of. I also would definitely like to know the significance of this doll. Thanks for the great review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

The cover of this book is so freaky. I would have thought it was some kind of horror, but your review has shed light :) This sounds like a very intense story. Your review is fantastic though - makes me want to pick it up straight away!
Thanks so much :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Luciana's story sounds heartrending and traumatic. I am wondering about the doll and the "cucuy" legend. Your description of the pacing is interesting. Thanks for the explanation of the plot. I had been wondering about this book, too, due to the cover! Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a heart-wrenching read. It is so sad that she was unable to use her legs. This book is totally different than what I thought it would be from the cover. It definitely looks like a horror story. Thanks for the wonderful review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Great review! For some reason this cover always makes me think this is a horror novel, but it sounds like it's a wonderful read with lots of important themes and emotion.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 25 May 2019, 20:04 This looks like a really emotional story, Luciana getting paralised because of her father's fault (i hope he actually had an afair with his friend's wife) is unheard of. I also would definitely like to know the significance of this doll. Thanks for the great review.
Yes, he did have the affair (no spoiler as it occurs so early into the book!). I loved the emotion and the doll's significance. Thank you so much for reading my review and commenting!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 May 2019, 04:26 The cover of this book is so freaky. I would have thought it was some kind of horror, but your review has shed light :) This sounds like a very intense story. Your review is fantastic though - makes me want to pick it up straight away!
Thanks so much :)
I definitely agree with your point on the cover of the book. The doll comes off looking a bit like "Chucky" and not the sweet and thoroughly adored doll that she was. Thank you for your very kind and supportive comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kdstrack wrote: 26 May 2019, 11:13 Luciana's story sounds heartrending and traumatic. I am wondering about the doll and the "cucuy" legend. Your description of the pacing is interesting. Thanks for the explanation of the plot. I had been wondering about this book, too, due to the cover! Great review!
I think the cover is throwing a lot of people! You would adore Luciana and her story....and the doll. Thank you so much, kdstrack, for your comments.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 26 May 2019, 14:48 This sounds like a heart-wrenching read. It is so sad that she was unable to use her legs. This book is totally different than what I thought it would be from the cover. It definitely looks like a horror story. Thanks for the wonderful review!
It's actually a very sweet story- and certainly heart-wrenching! Thank you, Stephanie, for your kind comments!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

unamilagra wrote: 27 May 2019, 13:27 Great review! For some reason this cover always makes me think this is a horror novel, but it sounds like it's a wonderful read with lots of important themes and emotion.
Yes, I think that the cover fooled everyone. And it is actually anything but a horror story. It was a very emotional and tender read. Thank you, unamilagra, for your very kind comments!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”