Review by Jlprince26 -- A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jlprince26
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Review by Jlprince26 -- A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Jlprince26 » 13 May 2019, 07:54

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Bloody Book" by Chris Bowen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever wondered what is going through the minds of our children? A Bloody Book is a tell-all story. Written in the first person view from what appears to be an uneducated adult. Chris Bowen does an excellent job of delving into the mind of an underprivileged child and allowing us to see what their reality may sometimes really be like. After all, we don't all have the same upbringing, sometimes life is much harder than you can truly see or even imagine.

Maxx is the main character, a 13-year-old boy. A boy who never stood a chance in this world. A child who was singled out by his teaches, abused by his father, and just not quite loved enough by his mother. At 9 he is mostly raising his very young sister while his mother works and his father drinks. He dreams of a better life. A mom that will hold him and bake cookies for their little family. He just wants to be loved, but he goes through so much that at the age of 13 he has stopped caring altogether.

He is given an assignment by his teacher, Mr. Foxx. A teacher like no other. A teacher that made him think. A teacher that cares about his students and wants them to wake up and start caring again. Mr. Foxx doesn't want his students to fall through the cracks. He is dramatic and a true hero, in my opinion. We learn why Maxx has stopped caring through the paper he is assigned to write. I, for one, could feel exactly where Maxx was coming from. I could feel his anger, his grief, his frustration at the adults who have continuously failed him.

I had a hard time getting started. The words captured my attention, but the grammar really threw me off. You really do have to "stay for the story." You absolutely "care for the characters." You will most definitely "Stay for the twist." I realized, after the first few pages, that the grammar was a big part of the story. Maxx is an underprivileged child who is also undereducated, of course he can't write a story in its perfection. Aside from a few misspelled words, I was enthralled and could not put the book down, after I realized my own error of expecting perfection.

I don't recommend this book to children, as it is a sad tale of murder and mayhem. I believe anyone above the age of 13 can sit down and truly enjoy this book. I think a good bit of adults could learn a lot from Maxx. He shows us what some of our children really wake up to every day of their lives. Maxx can give us all a bit of hope and reawaken our inner child.

I rate this book 4 out of 4. I thoroughly enjoyed ready this book and could hardly put it down. If I could give it a higher rating I would do just that. Great storytelling, great plot, great twist!

A Bloody Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jlprince26's review? Post a comment saying so!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 26 May 2019, 15:00

Sounds like a heart wrenching tale. I think it'll be a touching story. I'll definitely make sure to read this book. So, thanks for your great review!

Jlprince26
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 » 27 May 2019, 07:14

Thank you for your comment. It really was a hear wrenching tale. Definitely worth the read!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”