Review by Jeni_D19 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jeni_D19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeni-d19.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Jeni_D19 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Jeni_D19 » 12 May 2019, 20:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can I Be Frank is a laugh-filled lighthearted sermon full of misunderstandings and life lessons. Father Frank is a Catholic priest new to his vocation, that is given a parish across the pond from his home in England that lands him in hot, humid Florida. He soon discovers how confusing the 'real' world is where you have to shop for your own clothes, where hangovers and pizza-burnt tongue are definitely things, and where your parishioners are not always what they seem. Frank finds himself attracting unwanted attention from one particular parishioner while managing to alienate the Big Man that practically owns the town and this parish. With no money coming in to the Church, bills to pay, a whole flock of people to support and a car he doesn't want and is afraid to drive it's lucky that Father Frank collects an odd-ball circle of friends who help him through it all.

This book, written by Rob Wyatt, is an hilarious look into the life of a parish priest that is like no priest I ever met growing up in the Catholic Church. Most of this story occurs outside of Mass though, so maybe priests really are as normal as Frank is. Father Frank sometimes drinks American beer until he passes out drunk; he gets so nervous before delivering a sermon that he spends most of his time in the toilet; and, like most men, his eyes are drawn to a pretty face or a lovely pair of legs. And, although a priest, he is also a regular man who feels jealousy and fear, loneliness and frustration. Frank, being the humble priest that he is, quickly asks for forgiveness for these transgressions. He even struggles to pray sometimes. He too becomes unsure about his life and his faith; however, in this book the Lord works in mysterious ways and always shows Frank the way back to the Church.

I truly enjoyed Can I Be Frank. It is written with lots of humor and situations that you can't believe he gets himself into. Frank seems very naive about how the world really works, which makes him very likable and endearing. I enjoyed when Father William would quote scripture as a response to Father Frank; so Father Frank starts studying the Bible so he can out-quote him. There are a number of quotes out of Scripture in this book as part of the dialogue, but even if you are not familiar with the Bible at all, you would still be able to follow the dialogue. There are also many references to Catholic services, Mass, parts of the Church itself and items used for the priest. If you are not familiar with the Catholic Church or the Catholic Mass then I would suggest having a dictionary handy. But, again, it is nothing that takes away from the amazing story Mr. Wyatt presents us with.

I would give Can I Be Frank 4 out of 4 stars. The editing was beautifully done with no mistakes or typos that I noticed. I feel many adults would greatly enjoy this story and meeting these characters. These characters are human, relatable and super funny.

This book would appeal to those adults who enjoy comedic fiction and especially those readers who enjoy word play. Mr. Wyatt is clever with both his character's personalities and their witty, intelligent dialogue. He also takes you, the reader, on the journey along with Frank as he travels to a new country and has to learn to adapt. We are allowed to see Frank through his trials and tribulations to become more comfortable in his own skin, with his faith and with his new parish.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jeni_D19's review? Post a comment saying so!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 04 Jun 2019, 11:19

I read this book and enjoyed the humorous situations that Frank encountered. The author did a good job of describing the difference between the two cultures. I enjoyed your review. Great job!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Eyes of Amber by Anna Stassiy

Post by Prisallen » 17 Jun 2019, 15:49

I love reading books with humor written into them, and this book sounds like charming. Thank you for a wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”