Review by Kaylee123 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kaylee123
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee123.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Kaylee123 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kaylee123 » 12 May 2019, 09:20

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before I read McDowell, by William H. Coles, I didn’t know it was possible to hate the main character so intensely and still love the book. It’s an interesting story that seeks to answer this question: Can a man truly change?

McDowell tells the story of Hiram McDowell, an arrogant surgeon who is on important committees, does philanthropy work in Nepal and is eventually named Secretary of Health and Human Services. On the surface, he appears to be a model citizen. The reader also learns about McDowell’s family: his son Billie, daughter Sophie, his daughter Ann, and her children Penny and Jeremy. They all play important roles in McDowell’s life. The reader also meets Paige, a reporter doing a story on McDowell who recognizes he isn’t what he seems.

After tragedy strikes the family, McDowell’s character is called into question, and his life takes a turn for the worse. This tragedy is the beginning of a riveting, life-changing journey for McDowell as he seeks redemption.

What I liked most about the book was once a key event occurs I continued to be shocked by what followed. Crazy things kept happening out of nowhere. I had to keep reading to see what would happen next.

What I disliked most about the book is how slow it starts. I was bored reading the first quarter or so of the book. That part goes through McDowell’s accomplishments and gives background information on his family and other main characters. In hindsight, this first part of the book was necessary to lay the foundation for the rest of the story. Also, in the author’s defense, it went from boring to “oh my goodness what just happened” for the remainder of the book.

I also disliked that it wasn’t always clear how much time had passed between events in the book. It would have been helpful to have the year printed at the beginning of each chapter.

I would rate McDowell 3 out of 4 stars. I can’t give it a 4 because the beginning was so boring. I wasn’t sure if I could finish the book at first. I wouldn’t give it a 2 though because once you get past the tedious beginning, it’s amazing.

People who don’t like slow starting books wouldn’t want to read McDowell. People who like surprises and suspense would enjoy it.

McDowell, by William H. Coles, is a complex novel that I loved reading. Through learning about the lives of the characters the author touches on the issues of euthanasia, gun control, feminism, and redemption. It’s well written and edited and tells the story by intertwining the lives of the different characters. I would love to get inside the author’s head to find out how he decided to write this book!

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kaylee123's review? Post a comment saying so!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 25 May 2019, 01:49

hating the main character so intensely and still loving the book makes this book somewhat unique and sounds appealing to read. Thanks for your nice review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: The Woven Ring
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Letora » 25 May 2019, 07:42

I'm not a huge fan of books that take a long time to set up the story. After fifty pages, if it is still slow I tend to put it aside as there are so many books to read on my lists. But I have never read a book where I did not like the main character and still maintained interest. It makes me almost want to give this one a try. Thank you for the review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 30 May 2019, 06:34

I read this book. So, I know what you meant by a slow beginning. I almost have it up. If I didn't have to submit the review, I'd definitely have done so. But, I was so glad to find that it was worth it. So, thanks for your wonderful review.

Kaylee123

Post by Kaylee123 » 04 Jun 2019, 08:59

Letora wrote: ↑
25 May 2019, 07:42
I'm not a huge fan of books that take a long time to set up the story. After fifty pages, if it is still slow I tend to put it aside as there are so many books to read on my lists. But I have never read a book where I did not like the main character and still maintained interest. It makes me almost want to give this one a try. Thank you for the review!
I have a rule for myself where I force myself to finish books usually even if they start slow. The only book I ever started and didn't finish was Moby Dick, and it was required reading in high school.

McDowell really is worth reading though/!

Kaylee123

Post by Kaylee123 » 04 Jun 2019, 09:00

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: ↑
30 May 2019, 06:34
I read this book. So, I know what you meant by a slow beginning. I almost have it up. If I didn't have to submit the review, I'd definitely have done so. But, I was so glad to find that it was worth it. So, thanks for your wonderful review.
I'm glad you agreed about the slow start. I thought I was just being picky at first. Once it picked up though I think it was one of the most interesting books I've ever read.

aolayide
Currently Reading: Coached to Greatness
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by aolayide » 05 Jun 2019, 02:26

I do not like arrogant surgeons too. I would say that the slow beginning would put me off, however, reading your review, I think this book might be worthy of my attention. Of course, I might need to skip the beginning.

Thanks for the wonderful review!

Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kyoks » 05 Jun 2019, 04:31

Interestingly put up and geniune review that makes you want to read the book.
Thank you for the review.
Wonderful.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”