Review by Lhisa -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Lhisa -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Lhisa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz details the journey of Galen Bray. Although he is depicted as the main character, there are many other characters with the capability to have that title. They are central to the story as they contribute to different aspects which we will later discover the importance of.

The story begins with a trip from the war torn lands of the Lands of the Princes to Magnum Caelum. This was one of the poorer sections of Voulhire, but for Galen Bray this was hope. Hope that he had never thought that he would have. Galen Onita, Bray’s great uncle that he had not known existed until he was contacted, had requested for him to be brought over.

The book is mainly about Voulhire and the changes that it is going through under the surface. It is book one of a trilogy so it introduces the major players without giving too much away.

The story is set in different parts of Voulhire, it is dependent on which of the main characters the author is focusing on. For example when the author is focusing on Galen Bray, the story will be depicting Magnum Caelum for the most part. Other places are also mentioned as well such as Damon Soul and Hillport. Voulhire is a world that was created by the author.

What I liked most about the book is the uniqueness of the world. Also, the author was extremely descriptive and allowed the reader to have a picture of what is going on in each scene. The only thing that I didn’t like about the book was the lack of description for the type of human that seemed to have mage-like powers but was not a mage but was too powerful to be merely human. It may be an intentional strategy by the author but it caused a bit of confusion for me. Especially in regards to where they fit into the story.

The main themes explored in the book include murder, change in power, character building, death, friendship, new beginnings, family, despair and many others.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I gave this rating because although the book was well written and edited, was only able to find three errors in the book, the lack of description of the different types of people made some parts of the book confusing for me.

I recommend this book to those 16 and older looking for a mixture of mystery, murder and magic. It also will appeal to those with a political interest. Either gender will enjoy the book if they also fulfill the other recommendations.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lhisa's review? Post a comment saying so!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Lhisa wrote: 08 May 2019, 21:35 the author was extremely descriptive and allowed the reader to have a picture of what is going on in each scene
Yeah... I could easily picture each scene as I read it too.
Great review.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

Yes, the powers possessed by that character caused me to be confused too while reading the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”