Review by oaktreehill -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading: The Right to Nominate
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Review by oaktreehill -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

Post by Wriley » 05 May 2019, 21:00

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Take Tomorrow" by Gretchen Jeannette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil Take Tomorrow is a intriguing historical fiction written about the American Revolution in and around Philadelphia. In some ways this is a romance but in others a mystery. Whatever genre this book falls in, Gretchen Jeannette created an accurate enjoyable historically accurate book.

The story focuses on Ethan Matlock, a spy for the colonials against the British. He is task with stopping a plot to kill George Washington. Maggie Graves is the heroine whose loyalty lies with the American revolutionist yet she’s living with a step uncle who is a strong loyalist for the British.

Ethan is able to infiltrate the British through a calculated plan. A plan that causes a British loyalist and businessman, Robert Sinclair, to be grateful to Ethan for saving him from rebels on their journey from New York. Maddie is Sinclair’s step niece. Maddie has secrets and suspects that Ethan saving the family was a set up. Ethan is a very complex character that felt like he was in the gray area of right and wrong. Maddie was a strong woman who knew what she believed and stood by that.

The author was able to create a descriptive accurate book that never seemed boring. The book seemed plausible because of this historical accuracy. The story was fictional but the places and descriptions were real. The mansions and clothing were described in vivid detail that brought the book alive. I was most impressed than the language was so authentic to the time period. I had to use my dictionary several times to look unfamiliar words up because today’s American is not the same as almost 250 years ago.

I highly recommend the book to anyone who likes a good historical fiction because this was the best of the best. I have never read a historical fiction that felt as if the entire book was written with language from the period. I did not find any errors. The book seemed professionally edited. The only criticism was that the title seems like it should be, The Devil Takes not Take Tomorrow. I give The Devil Take Tomorrow 4 out of 4 stars.

The Devil Take Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like oaktreehill's review? Post a comment saying so!
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading: The Right to Nominate
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Wriley » 18 May 2019, 13:49

This really was one of the best historical books I've read. I strongly recommend this book if you like the genre.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Delaney35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Delaney35 » 19 May 2019, 10:54

This does seem like an amazing historical fiction book. I'll have to try and read it at some point. Excellent review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 29 May 2019, 15:31

I read this book and, like you, enjoyed the historical facts that the author included in the book. I liked the main characters also. You have written an enjoyable review of this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”