Review by tanner87cbs -- Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
tanner87cbs
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Review by tanner87cbs -- Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by tanner87cbs » 04 May 2019, 21:36

[Following is a volunteer review of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler is a detailed report of the authors' research on his belief in the account of Judas Iscariots' role in the days of Jesus Christ. The author waste no time in jumping into the deep end on this subject. The reviews at the beginning of the book give you forewarning you are about to dive in head first. Right from the start, it is clear that you will need head knowledge of several terms. One example is the word 'canon' as it relates to the gospels of Christianity and Gnosticism. The word 'canon' meaning a list of sacred text or rules is never defined.

While reading this book, I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors. Although, most of the book is quotation's from different sources. The book was quite hard to read. Mainly because there was a lot of quoting and use of various special characters. It was very daunting to keep up with this. The special characters were to let the reader know more context behind what was being stated and from where. At least the use of these characters was explained well.

The author did a great job at citing all sources for his view on the subject. It contains an extensive proof of research. The end of the book comprises a comprehensive resource section as well. The number of terms not defined in the book hurt the books readability. The summary would have been useful as an introduction to the book. That would have assisted with a softer opening to the book.

What I found distasteful about this book is the demeanor of the author. I have read many books on religion. A large portion of these books hold opinions that are different than my own. Still, they presented their beliefs tactfully. A good example is Moses In The Holy Scriptures Of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam by Osman Elhadary. In his book, Osman maintains a neutral tone. Also, the main text used for the author's view is incomplete. There is a large portion of the Gospel of Judas quoted. The quotes often include a statement to let you know there are four to five missing lines of the text. My opinion is this takes away from the credibility of the argument.

In conclusion, I was fascinated by this book but did not enjoy it. I give this book a 1 out of 4 stars rating. I want to clarify that my grading of this book is not because of the author's viewpoint. In my opinion, the book was lacking structure and a strong introduction. I would only recommend this book to a limited audience of those familiar with theology and religion.

Misreading Judas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like tanner87cbs's review? Post a comment saying so!

Dragonsend
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 408
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Dragonsend » 20 May 2019, 18:10

Could not have said it better not more tactfully. Great review!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”