Review by sri varshini303041 -- First Lessons

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
sri varshini303041
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Review by sri varshini303041 -- First Lessons

Post by sri varshini303041 » 04 May 2019, 01:01

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Lessons" by Lina J. Potter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aliya Skorolenok is a medical student. She is looking forward to her medical course and is very talented. As she is travelling with her family in a car, they meet with an accident. Meanwhile, Martha, a maid and nanny of Lillian, the Countess of Earton, begs a witch to put life back into her mistress. But, Lily doesn’t have the will to live and somehow, Aliya ends up in the body of Lillian, in another period.

She is disoriented at first and decides that the strange setting is her hallucination. But, she slowly realizes that she has died in her previous life as Aliya and is now in the obese body of Lillian. She slowly recovers from her childbirth and realizes that she is blessed to be alive, irrespective of the body she possesses. She learns that her husband is unloving and doesn’t care much about her. She grasps the customs of Earton and absorbs the suffering of her people. Also, the castle is on the verge of deteriorating without proper care, as the old Lillian was too obese to even walk properly. She recognizes her duty to her people and sets out to correct the mistakes of her servants, her husband and the old Lillian. Will she able to help her people or will she be accused as a witch?

First lessons by Lina J. Potter is a beautifully written historical fiction. The plot of the story is simple and clear. We get a clear picture of the thought process of Aliya. I loved how she used her modern world knowledge to help the people of Earton. I liked how she had a no-nonsense attitude with the servants and used her position as a countess to her full ability. For instance, the scene where she orders the servants to do her work properly, she was pretty scary and menacing. Also, she realizes the duty and responsibly of her power and doesn’t misuse it for personal benefits. She wants what’s best for her castle and people. The character of Aliya is well written. She is not portrayed as a meek, innocent, fragile girl who cries at the sight of blood. She is a student of medicine and is very brave and intelligent at times of crisis.

The branching of the plot to several narrations helps the readers to understand the characters better. Even though the readers do not have much need to understand the significance of some of the characters in this book, it is evident that we will need to know their story to understand the sequel. For instance, the relationship between Adelaide and her husband’s cousin is not very important to the story of Lillian in this book. But we might need to know the backstory to understand the sequel. Jess, The Count of Earton, will definitely cross paths with Lillian in the sequel.

I am not a fan of so many backward thoughts expressed in this book. I understand that the author is only trying to explain the nature of the society in that time and these thoughts are not her own but body shaming is not cool. Every male character in the book cares only about the physical appearance of the women. They judge the person according to it. I did not like it. I also did not like the charter of Jess. He seems shallow. I liked the Virmans a lot better than the nobles and royalty.

The setting of the book was very well written. The author presents a detailed description of every aspect of the setting. For instance, the market scene and the setting of the castle were filled with minute details, that I was able to imagine the smell and appearance of the said places. The plot is fast paced and flows flawlessly. The footnotes helped me a great deal. I was not able to understand some old English terms, as I am not a native speaker, and the footnotes made me more connected to the book. The book is exceptionally well edited, as I did not see any errors while reading through.

There were a few aspects in the book that confused me a little. There is no explanation for the body swapping. Is it magic? Why was only Aliya chosen to give another chance? Is there a reason? Is there a connection between Aliya and Lillian? I hope the author explains this, in the next book. Next, why is there not more about the first wife of Jess? I know that she is not important to understand the basic plotline. But, the backstory of his first wife can help the readers to understand the hatred Jess has towards Lillian. Next would be, how can Aliya move on so easily, after her entire family died? Why isn’t she searching for ways to go back to her past, or at least take her time to grieve? Then, where is Earton or the whole kingdom? Is it the ancient times or another world itself?

These confusions don’t hinder the free flow of the plot, and I am very sure the answers are complete in the sequel. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to the fans of body swapping, time travel, historical fiction, strong female characters and fans of books like The Selection by Kiera Cass, The Mistress of Nothing, Remarkable creatures and, The Last Runaway.

First Lessons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sri varshini303041's review? Post a comment saying so!

Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto » 16 May 2019, 07:39

Seems a good book on about the dynamics of relationships. However, I find the obsession about looks a bit shallow for my taste. Thanks for an enjoyable review though.

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by allbooked+ » 16 May 2019, 07:57

I read this book and had the same questions as you. I felt that the main character 'moved-on' too easily and never really grieved for the life she left! Very nice review, thank you!

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by allbooked+ » 16 May 2019, 07:58

I read this book and had the same questions as you. I felt that the main character 'moved-on' too easily and never really grieved for the life she left! Very nice review, thank you!

sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:

Post by sri varshini303041 » 19 May 2019, 06:48

allbooked+ wrote: ↑
16 May 2019, 07:58
Yes, she did not grieve nor did she tried to return to her reality. Thank you for your kind words.

sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:

Post by sri varshini303041 » 19 May 2019, 06:50

Uinto wrote: ↑
16 May 2019, 07:39
Seems a good book on about the dynamics of relationships. However, I find the obsession about looks a bit shallow for my taste. Thanks for an enjoyable review though.
Yes, but the character of Aliya tries to move past it in the book. Thank you for your comments.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen » 22 May 2019, 10:40

This seems like a very interesting book and a good way to learn a little history. I agree that the body shaming would be irritating, and surely there would have been some males who were not quite so shallow. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Fuzaila
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 170
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: White Jaguar
Bookshelf Size: 1059
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What Would a Muslim Say? by Ahmed Lotfy Rashed

Post by Fuzaila » 24 May 2019, 03:16

Stunning review Sree! Throughout the review I was looking for the reason of the body swapping and since you mention there's none, I'm a bit disappointed. As you stated, body shaming, however prominent it is in the culture the book is set in, is not cool. Thanks for the review.

sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:

Post by sri varshini303041 » 06 Jun 2019, 10:28

Prisallen wrote: ↑
22 May 2019, 10:40
This seems like a very interesting book and a good way to learn a little history. I agree that the body shaming would be irritating, and surely there would have been some males who were not quite so shallow. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thank you for checking out my review. Yes, there are few men who are nicer. lol.

sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:

Post by sri varshini303041 » 06 Jun 2019, 10:29

Fuzaila wrote: ↑
24 May 2019, 03:16
Stunning review Sree! Throughout the review I was looking for the reason of the body swapping and since you mention there's none, I'm a bit disappointed. As you stated, body shaming, however prominent it is in the culture the book is set in, is not cool. Thanks for the review.
thank you so much Fuzaila. yes, body shaming is not very comfortable to read about.

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: Control Room
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Amanda Deck » 06 Jun 2019, 10:39

Does body shaming apply as a concept when you're talking about someone too obese to walk? That's dangerous and awful besides being too obvious to pretend you don't notice it. The fear of "body shaming" is one way to keep kids from being too casual about allowing themselves to get to a point of no return so I'm not sure it's all bad. I got fat for a while after my third child, stayed that way FAR too long. It was the humiliation of it, along with the inability to do things I needed to be able to do, that made me get to a reasonable, healthy size.

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading: The Reckoning
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 06 Jun 2019, 10:58

I enjoyed your analysis of the writing style. I especially liked that you mentioned the author was able to make you smell the elements of the setting. Getting the sense of smell into a story is one of the hardest to do.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”