Review by ScottWize1 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ScottWize1
Favorite Author: Jack Cavanaugh
Currently Reading: The Invisible Realm
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottwize1.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 82073

Review by ScottWize1 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ScottWize1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is the second book in a series, the first being Strong Heart. Adrift can be read as a standalone book but many of the characters are the same and there is a richness of development allowing this book to come after Strong Heart. I recommend reading them in order.

William (who is a returning main character) is literally adrift as a crew member of a ship that caught fire and abandoned by all hands. His character is compelling, and his development in this book was welcome. He is the main story arch but there are several other parallel story lines that touch on one another and while that style is different, I enjoyed the variety. The author has clearly written a more literary novel, and his clear knowledge of sea going vessels as well as native culture adds an interesting dynamic. It also helps to make the characters and their stories believable.

I enjoyed the structure of the book as well as the many characters (new and returning) and can honestly say that there wasn’t a thing I didn’t like. I read it from cover to cover in one sitting and the only critique I can offer is that I don’t know when book three in this series will be finished.

I give Adrift a solid 4 out of 4 stars and commend the editor as I didn’t come across an error knowingly. I recommend this book to parents as the interaction within families is thoughtful. I also recommend this book to young adult readers becuase the honest writing, as it relates to young people, may also give a thoughtful perspective regarding the parents and grandparents who are developed in the story.

Find a comfortable seat and a few hours of alone time and enjoy this engaging book.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ScottWize1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”