Review by Dic45ta -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Dic45ta
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dic45ta.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by Dic45ta -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dic45ta » 02 May 2019, 05:00

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The turn is a dark fantasy novel by Matthew Tysz that balances the line connecting a horror novel and a post-apocalyptic story. The story arises from the apocalyptic occurrence in the world referred to as the turn. It unveils the power of social will, the imperfection, and greed of humans when subjected to compelling factors. The charm of this novel materializes from the fact that it is a stand-alone novel that is divided into two books within itself; both about the events following the turn. This, from my perspective, made the story very mysterious and captivating from the start. Throughout the book, the reader is whacked back and forth between the viewpoints of diverse characters as they experience pain and loss as an aftermath of the turn however the story gives you no clue what the turn might be. This builds curiosity and pushes the reader to stay till the end.

Mr. Tysz portrays a clear spectacle of the despair that hung with those who survived the turn. I love the touching manner in which he illustrated from various perspectives the frustrations, anguish, sorrow and the apathetic behavior of the characters due to the prolonged stress they suffered as a result of the turn. The outcome of his illustrations was that of a corrupt society, stripped of every reason for cooperation.

Ashley and Scholars friendship was the most enjoyable part of the book to me. Having always had the idea that friends are supposed to love each other and always wish the best for one another I was amazed at Ashley and Scholar's annihilating opinions of each other; it was nerve-racking to the point that I found it comical. To be honest, I loved the story even more because of these two characters.

What I liked best about this book is the fact that it did not have a precise explanation of what the turn actually was but rather gave major hints to the readers so they can picture it for themselves. This, in my opinion, made the story more suspenseful, mysterious and interesting. To supplement, I think it made the readers more focused on the characters and the present circumstances rather than chasing after the book’s past.

To conclude, the turn is an entertaining story packed with lots of lessons; for instance, I learned that the decisions that I take can either murder or save me depending on my circumstance. I did not note any grammatical errors so I can say the book was well-edited. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to all readers especially dark fantasy lovers.

The Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dic45ta's review? Post a comment saying so!
Remember to love yourself every day. I Love You.
💜💜💜💜.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”